new penryn mbp owner questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by conquistador, Dec 26, 2008.

1. conquistador macrumors newbie

Well I just got my 15 inch penryn 2.4 mbp and so far I am loving it. I do have some questions though

I know these things run hot but this seems really hot, playing about 45 minutes of wow and according to istat pro my enclosure base was 112 degrees farenheit. It wasn't burning my legs but was quite hot, is this a normal temperature for running a not very GPU intensive game?

Also I have been using Smc fan control and I was wondering if it was safe to run the fans at 3500 rpm constantly just because its more comfortable no matter what I'm doing. Over time will this be harmful to my fans?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

112F is nothing, now if it were 112C then I'd be worried. That is actually a bit cooler rather than hotter for running a full screen game for almost an hour. I wouldn't worry about the temperature until it gets up to the 190's. And as for the fan question, I usually run my MacBook Pro on the 4000RPM setting and I've not run into any problems and I have found no cons to it other than a minor increase in the sound of the fans.

3. conquistador thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok ill keep runnin the fans at 3500 thanks

But the temps I'm talking about arnt the gpu, they are the aluminum on the bottom of the case itself...is it actually normal fort the surface to get to 190 degrees during games?? That's like a stove!

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

What is the temperature of the actual CPU, then? That would be the one that I would be worried about rather than the enclosure base. If you find the bottom of the laptop too hot then you can always get a laptop cooling pad, I have used one in the past and found it to be very handy. (I had the original MacBook Pro and it ran very hot) The laptop cooling pad would take the enclosure base off of your laptop and in the process give it more airflow and give you a cooler computer.

5. conquistador thread starter macrumors newbie

CPU was in the 120's or 130's I believe

Haha ok I'm happy I won't be setting 190 degree aluminum on my legs then, how hot do you think the base can get during a game like wow? Will it just keep climing or does it level out?