Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jeff5i

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 4, 2005
Hi all,

While I was using my new 15.4" 2.4Ghz MBP Penryn last night I heard a high pitched whine coming from the area. I tracked it down to the power adapter that was plugged into the wall. I tried it on several different outlets in my house and heard the same amount of whine.

Interestingly, that if I have the adapter plugged into the wall, it doesnt have to be plugged in to the MBP to hear the whine. This is reassuring as it doesnt appear to be anything from the MBP causing this.

Has anyone else heard this type of whine from a apple power adapter?

Jeff

joefinan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Kingston-Upon-Thames, UK
My shaver socket does it. I think it's just some transformers do it whilst they step-down the voltage.

The fact it still whines when it's not plugged into the MBP proves why we should all unplug computer/phone/ipod chargers/transformers when they're not in use and help save energy... Sorry.

Jeff5i

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 4, 2005
Is this sound supposed to be emitted 24/7, while its plugged in? I'm worried about killing my $2k laptop within the first week.

Jeff

JWest

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
Not to change the subject or anything but do the adapters for the new MBPs still get excruciatingly hot? The old ones did, and I'm just curious.

Sinsocal

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2008
I actually noticed the noise coming from the power adapter last night while I had it plugged in to the extension cable. The adapter was sitting on my desk and I could clearly hear the noise coming from the power brick.

And to answer the other question, my adapter still gets pretty hot while charging.

I hope neither one of these have any affect on my new MBP.

Neil321

macrumors 68040
I actually noticed the noise coming from the power adapter last night while I had it plugged in to the extension cable. The adapter was sitting on my desk and I could clearly hear the noise coming from the power brick.

And to answer the other question, my adapter still gets pretty hot while charging.

I hope neither one of these have any affect on my new MBP.

How?

higham

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2007
the most common cause for is due to leaving the the power adaptor on to long. the windings in the transformer get warm and start to make that noise. if it happens as soon as plug it in phone, apple and try and get a new one. im pretty sure though that there's nothing wrong with it, and nothing will happen to your mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.