New penryn mbp questions... and ram/fsb questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nick2u, Jan 4, 2008.

1. nick2u macrumors newbie

Hey guys...

was just wondering when apple refreshes the mbp processors into penryn sometime in the next few months, will there be a chipset change as well? if so, will it run a different sort of ram than the ddr2-667 flavors?

i currently have a SR mbp and would liek to get more ram but i wanna reuse the new ram should i change my machine in the next couple of months.

Also, can someone enlighten me on why people talk about SR ram/fsb out of sync differences? something like ram runs at 667 but the fsb runs at 533 or 800 and is hence inefficient or a waste of bandwidth?

thanks in advance fellas!

2. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

If Apple updates the MBP with Penryn within like 2-3 months, then there wouldn't be a chipset change. If you wait til say June, then there is likely to be a chipset change as well.

3. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

The next chipset change is Montevina which Intel won't release till later on this year. So no the next MBP update will likely only be a processor swap.

The memory controller and fsb are indeed out of sync. Whilst the fsb is 800MHz the memory controller can't go beyond 667MHz but thats fine. More info here

4. Dreamer2go macrumors 6502a

not to be an ass
    but way to waste a nice laptop!

SR MBP is more than capable in any day to day work at the moment...even if a new refresh is released.