Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emt8q5

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
I just recently purchased the base line Penryn MBP and after 1 return due to yellow discoloration, I am happy to report that I have a near perfect MBP. I do however have a few questions regarding temperature issues.

Regarding temperature, I have been pleased with the MBP's performance in OS X doing a variety of tasks in CS 3 and I also use smcFancontrol program to monitor temps and have had no issues. I am concerned however with seemingly high temperatures when playing games in Bootcamp Win XP. I'm concerned because the bottom of the case becomes very warm and I also so far have been unable to find a reliable way to monitor temperatures from within Win XP. I usually play these games while my MBP is in clamshell mode and attached to an external display and will sometimes play for a couple of hours. I am playing the following games:

Sins of a Solar Empire
Battlefield 2142
Company of Heroes

Should I be concerned about damaging my MBP while playing these games? Is there anyway to control fanspeed and monitor temperature from within XP?

Thanks for any and all input!

Eric

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
You should be ok to play whatever you want on the mbp. As I've read that the new penryn gets only warm at the bottom to touch but if you compare it to the previous models and especially the core duo models, they get extremely hot at the bottom back.

Also the cards are all clocked at a certain mhz and especially apple always underclocks the cards so your more than good in terms of heat in windows or osx.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.