Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jshbckr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 20, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I just picked up a Penryn MacBook Pro on Thursday from an Apple Retail Store and upon using it, I noticed that the trackpad is normal on the left side, but as you move to the right the trackpad slowly rises up and becomes flush with the palm rest area.

Is this something that I could take in and swap out for another model? It's not something that makes the computer unusable, but you can tell that the trackpad isn't really staying down on that side. You can't push it down into place either.

When I'm spending $2000 on a computer, I think it's reasonable to expect the trackpad to be level. Would Apple see this as a defect or would they just tell me it's not a big deal?

Retired
May 16, 2006
If they try to fob you off with some kind of "Its normal, pay 10% for a replacement" ask to see the manager and complain politely but firmly.

If you're young, try and get someone older to do it for you, the people in the Apple Store seem to dismiss complaints from younger people readily.

Enzo

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2008
I also have the new macbook pro and I started to notice the same thing, but I thought that I was going crazy. I feel a slight bump on the lower right side.

DMC-12

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007
Nashville, TN
It would help your case if you could find other issues with the machine such as poorly-sealed casing (especially around the bottom left corner), fan/CPU whine, difficulty waking from sleep... (all issues that my first penryn Pro had).
Oh, and all SR and Penryn Pros have audio hiss and beeping from the headphone jack during audio playback.

jshbckr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 20, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I'm fairly young, 21, but I could also bring up that I spent over $4000 last April on an 8-Core Mac Pro and $2500 two years before that on a PowerBook. On a side note, I've also "sold" Apple computers to probably at least 10 peers over the past few years. There is a certain level of quality I've come to expect from Apple devices.

I'll bring it in and ask them about it. I guess it's not the end of the world if they don't let me exchange it but I'm sure as hell not paying the restocking fee.

Retired
May 16, 2006
I'm fairly young, 21, but I could also bring up that I spent over $4000 last April on an 8-Core Mac Pro and $2500 two years before that on a PowerBook. On a side note, I've also "sold" Apple computers to probably at least 10 peers over the past few years. There is a certain level of quality I've come to expect from Apple devices.

I'll bring it in and ask them about it. I guess it's not the end of the world if they don't let me exchange it but I'm sure as hell not paying the restocking fee.

21 is good. Its just that at 15 I was lied to ~10 times about my Macbook's issue. The one time I got my dad to go in they replaced it on the spot. I don't think it was coincidence as the people rudely ignored me and dismissed my issue of the MB randomly shutting down.

dallas112678

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
ive had 3 penryn MBP's all of them had the uneven trackpad your describing, whether thats normal or not idk, but its definetly common.

asmallchild

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2007

Let us know how that turns out. My initial assumption is that Apple employees probably wouldn't be thrilled at replacing a brand new $2000 laptop over small cosmetic issues but it would be a real nice thing if they did.

jshbckr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 20, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Part of me is also wondering if I should just accept it, because what if I replace it and it's got an even trackpad but the screen has 2 or 3 dead pixels? That is an issue that they've said they will NOT replace a unit for.

Should I just accept that the trackpad is a little high on one side and be thankful that I don't have dead pixels, a yellow screen, or any other problems?

dallas112678

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
Part of me is also wondering if I should just accept it, because what if I replace it and it's got an even trackpad but the screen has 2 or 3 dead pixels? That is an issue that they've said they will NOT replace a unit for.

Should I just accept that the trackpad is a little high on one side and be thankful that I don't have dead pixels, a yellow screen, or any other problems?

I think you should accept it, because if you dont have a yellow screen your lucky, theres alot of yellow screens out there and ive had 3 Penryn MBP's and all of them had this uneven trackpad your talking about so its really common, your next will prolly have the same thing except with a worse screen or fan.

Deadaim357

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2008
Boston,MA
IMG_02971.jpg

Mine actually rises above the palm rest. Sorry for the bad pic iPhone. Like Dallas said accept it. I did I'm glad I don't have a bad screen or fan and I think its pretty fun to run my finger across it once and awhile.

jshbckr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 20, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I'm tempted to go back in to the Apple store and ask about it, but at the same time, I understand that they can't just let me sit there and open every MacBook pro they have until I get a perfect unit.

Then again, one could claim that if their quality control was better, it wouldn't be necessary to do so.

Anyway, here is an image of the track pad. Sorry for the really shallow depth of field, there wasn't much light, so I had to open up all the way.

Attachments

• trackpad.jpg
    trackpad.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 107

jshbckr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 20, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Well I just noticed it because I would run my finger along the top edge and noticed that it became flush with the body on the right side. Then I thought "That shouldn't be right." and now I just always notice it.

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona
Well I just noticed it because I would run my finger along the top edge and noticed that it became flush with the body on the right side. Then I thought "That shouldn't be right." and now I just always notice it.
Hay mine is just like yours in the pic. I guess I never noticed it till now. :eek:

jshbckr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 20, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Oh man, ignorance is bliss, huh?

If you guys are all serious, maybe we've got a real problem on our hands. The track pad most definitely should not be like this, you can tell it can sort of be pushed down, like the track pad is just a hair too big for the hole.

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
me too..

There's really nothing that can be done other than replacing the entire top case...its one unit (except the keyboard). I think this is "within spec"

Deadaim357

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2008
Boston,MA
Wow.. I can't believe all the uneven trackpads. Here I am thinking there's only a few. Mines on the right side which is the same side my screen isn't flush. Do you think it has something to do with the MBP's design?

mahger

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2007
I didnt notice this until now either, but on the left side theres this point where it quickly curves up a little. You cannot tell by looking, its its not that hard to feel it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.