New Penryn processor coming soon, buy iMac now or wait?

jeznav

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
453
0
Eh?
Hello everyone,
I'm planning to buy the new iMac sometime by the end of this year. I've been anticipating for quite a while now. I know that apple always has something new even if the product hasn't ended its life cycle. Now its going to be my first time to buy an Apple product and I don't want to purchase anything that might be replaced with a better hardware after a few weeks of buying it. So, after hearing about the new processor, should I wait for Apple to include it?

Thanks.
 

I'mAMac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2006
786
0
In a Mac box
Well apple just released the new imac with c2d and c2e. I would buy now if your going to get one. Or wait until Leopard comes out and then it will be included in the comp. How much would you spend?
 

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
6,538
1,452
You won't see Penryn iMacs before January's MacWorld SF. And I for one would expect that it they won't get updated till February to mid-March, late January at the earliest. I think the MBPs will be the first to get them. Remember, AFAIK the Penryns slated for late 2007 release are not mobile versions. Also, like anything else I doubt there will be that significant a performance boost over the Santa Rosa Merom packages we have now. Penryn drop-ins for SR chipsets will represent the last revision to the SR chipset line which in many ways is a simple step up from the Yonah and Merom Napa lines. Sure you could wait, but I don't think it is worth it. Unless you are getting a Mac Pro which is due for some sort of revision, now is the best time to get any Mac. And that holds true through the holidays. The next significant change will be the introduction of 17", 20", and 24" LED panels, and of course Blu-Ray, followed by Penryn.
 

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
18,388
42
1123.6536.5321
If you can wait until MWSF, might as well do it in case there's an update, but otherwise, the iMacs just got updated this week so I'd say just go ahead and buy one. Regardless of what is coming down the pipe, the new iMac is a great machine and will no doubt suit your needs just fine. There will always be something better coming in the future, so if you start playing the waiting game, that's all you'll end up doing - waiting. Buy the machine that you need when you need it and you'll have no regrets. :cool:
 

mavherzog

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2005
304
0
Columbus, WI
jeznav said:
Now its going to be my first time to buy an Apple product and I don't want to purchase anything that might be replaced with a better hardware after a few weeks of buying it..
Then your only safe bet is buying a new iMac right NOW.
 

AceWilfong

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2007
144
0
San Francisco
Got my 24 a couple of months ago. People were asking: "Should I wait for the next model?" Now everybody wants a matte screen and better video. All in all, I'm happy with my old "classic".
 

jeznav

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
453
0
Eh?
If you can wait until MWSF, might as well do it in case there's an update, but otherwise, the iMacs just got updated this week so I'd say just go ahead and buy one. Regardless of what is coming down the pipe, the new iMac is a great machine and will no doubt suit your needs just fine. There will always be something better coming in the future, so if you start playing the waiting game, that's all you'll end up doing - waiting. Buy the machine that you need when you need it and you'll have no regrets. :cool:
Well, I'm mostly using it for HD video editing and 3d animation. I need something that has performance in processing power. I could get a Mac Pro but the iMac is more affordable and its simple and compact. I'm still running on a Duron 700 and way overdue for a new one. Though it still doesn't have what I wanted like built-in blu-ray drive, I'd have to shell out for an external one. As for the current processor, I know its capable but it doesnt have the features like SSE4 thats already included in the penryn processor. So the question is which weighs more " more features + waiting time" vs. "less features + buy now"?

Also I have until mid-November to decide and I am very patient when it comes to buying.
 

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
4,929
54
England
Based on when the last two iMacs were released and when their processors were realesed (months before) realisitically you are looking to March at the earliest. Waiting 6 months so you can use SSE4 features seems ludicrous. Buy as soon as you can and get use out of the power.
 

rainydays

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2006
886
0
Got my 24 a couple of months ago. People were asking: "Should I wait for the next model?" Now everybody wants a matte screen and better video. All in all, I'm happy with my old "classic".
I'm very glad that I waited actually. I don't mind the glossy screen (even though I work with graphics a lot), and the GPU will be just fine for me.
The new design was worth the wait for me since I never liked the white one, and a slight speed bump, mb-style keyboard and lower price is a great bonus.
The old model is still great though if you can stand the white border around the screen.

I wouldn't wait around for Penryn though. I'll take the current one, then upgrade to a newer model later on when it makes sense. I don't think they'll release a new one for at least 6 months. They have a lot of catching up to do in other areas.
 

SBeardsl

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2007
46
6
Also I have until mid-November to decide and I am very patient when it comes to buying.
The latest iMacs should be able to do what you describe well enough. However, if you are really interested in seeing all your options wait till the next MacPro update and then decide. The MacPro is also overdue for an update, it will probably be similar to the iMac upgrade minus the graphical change, i.e. incremental improvements to the processors (more quad options?), RAM, HDs, especially the graphic card options in the same (great) MacPro box. It will still cost more but it should restore some of the value it has lost over the last year since its last baseline update. Then decide to go for the lower price (probably better performance per $ value) or the higher price, top of the line performance of the Mac Pro.
 

Cormier6083

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2006
187
0
Louisiana
Look at it this way.... if you always wait for an update, you'll never buy one. Go ahead... this should cover you until OS 11....
 

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
6,538
1,452
I'm very glad that I waited actually. I don't mind the glossy screen (even though I work with graphics a lot), and the GPU will be just fine for me.
The new design was worth the wait for me since I never liked the white one, and a slight speed bump, mb-style keyboard and lower price is a great bonus.
The old model is still great though if you can stand the white border around the screen.

I wouldn't wait around for Penryn though. I'll take the current one, then upgrade to a newer model later on when it makes sense. I don't think they'll release a new one for at least 6 months. They have a lot of catching up to do in other areas.
For me it was the perfect decision. I waited just the right amount of time, and now am getting the machine I want. 2.8ghz 24" with 750 GB HDD and 1GB RAM, BT MM. ~ $2,420. 4GB RAM from OWC $230. ~$2,650 total!!
 

jeznav

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
453
0
Eh?
Ok, the majority of the posts insists that its better to buy one now. I thank everyone from finalizing my decision.
 

Sped

macrumors regular
May 30, 2003
207
0
The thing is Penryn should run much cooler because of the 45nm process, right? Which should, in turn, give Apple more thermal budget for the GPU.

My other issue is external connectivity. Why hasn't Apple dumped FW800 in favor of eSATA? FW has run its course and now needs to die.
 

aliquis-

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2007
680
0
Hello everyone,
I'm planning to buy the new iMac sometime by the end of this year. I've been anticipating for quite a while now. I know that apple always has something new even if the product hasn't ended its life cycle. Now its going to be my first time to buy an Apple product and I don't want to purchase anything that might be replaced with a better hardware after a few weeks of buying it. So, after hearing about the new processor, should I wait for Apple to include it?

Thanks.
Penryn will come in the iMac the next time it updates, you can be sure of that, but the next time it updates you will get whatever the next generation of "Core" is called, and the time after that? Guess what? You will get the next version!

I think Intel have said that every second version will be a processor improvement/update and every second version will just be a shrinkage of the old one. And I think they would come with a half year appart. So good luck ever getting a computer if you don't want any future versions to have any sort of updates over it.

The imac is a few days old, it won't get updated for another half year +, if any time this is a good time to buy.
 

theheyes

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2006
218
0
Manchester
If you can wait, wait for Penryn. I am. I dont see the problem. :confused:

Penryn isnt just a shrink, it has some nice new features. Especially for video.
 

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
18,388
42
1123.6536.5321
If you can wait, wait for Penryn. I am. I dont see the problem. :confused:

Penryn isnt just a shrink, it has some nice new features. Especially for video.
Just keep in mind that after Penryn there will be something else coming in 6-12 months, then something else after that, ad infinitum. If you're waiting for Penryn yourself, you've decided that's what you want and it fits with whatever timing works best for you in your purchasing cycle, that's cool - however realize that 6 months from now when you post in a thread indicating that you're buying a Penryn system, don't be surprised when someone replies with your exact above quote: "If you can, wait for <insert new technology here>. I am. I don't see the problem. :confused: "

:p ;) :cool:
 

shawmanus

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2006
81
0
Just keep in mind that after Penryn there will be something else coming in 6-12 months, then something else after that, ad infinitum. If you're waiting for Penryn yourself, you've decided that's what you want and it fits with whatever timing works best for you in your purchasing cycle, that's cool - however realize that 6 months from now when you post in a thread indicating that you're buying a Penryn system, don't be surprised when someone replies with your exact above quote: "If you can, wait for <insert new technology here>. I am. I don't see the problem. :confused: "

:p ;) :cool:
Would Mac OS or any app use SSE4. Then performance gain with penryn should be significant. Plus 6mB l2 cache should help as well.

Apple may wait for Montevina platform(Santa rosa replacement) before updating Macbook pro/iMac. That platform should hopefully increase FSB to 1066MHZ as well.

Nehalem should release late next year or beginning of 2009, but laptop versions should not have imc. Maybe not even quick path.

If apple is releasing leopard in next 2 months, it may be worth waiting for it save $150.
 

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
35,743
142
http://upc.*************/uploads/forums/buynoworwaitflowchart.gif

* Credit iBlue for the graphic
LMFAO! Awesome! A first for MacRumors...a flow chart on how to decide to buy/wait/post.
iBlue just earned mass respect from me.
 

giganten

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2006
602
0
Don't buy any computer, just wait they will only release better machines.

I would say go and buy it if you want and need a new machine now.

hehe nice iBlue :D