New Phantom Glass Full Coverage Screen Protector: Review with Pics

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by jay19, Nov 30, 2014.

1. jay19 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I haven't posted much on here, but gotten tons of great information on full coverage glass screen protectors for the new iPhone 6. I thought I'd return the favour and share my review of the new Phantom Glass version. Phantom Glass is a Canadian company focused on creating tempered glass screen protectors using real Corning Gorilla Glass.

Full disclosure: I received this as a sample unit, and this review may not be reflective of the retail version which will be released soon.

Although not perfect, this is by far the best screen protector I have used. Others I have purchased include Baseus, Nillkin full coverage, Zagg Glass, Ghost Armor, Best Skins Ever, and generic eBay brands.

Ok, on to the review!

Upon opening the package, I found that the protector comes with an "easy to install" applicator, which I found to be a nice touch. The first thing I noticed was that there is a clear, convex shaped silicone-like material which is meant to contour around the edges of the iPhones screen. Before this, the Nillkin full-coverage was my favourite atheistically, however dust would enter the gap and accumulate under the screen protector. This Phantom Glass version seems to solve this problem.

I've tried to show this with the photos taken. On the 3rd picture, you can see the convex edges, which is similar to the imos glass protector and eliminates the "gap" between the iPhone's screen and other tempered glass protectors.

Installation pics to follow...

Attached Files:

• 1.jpeg
      1.jpeg
      File size:
      1.2 MB
      Views:
    • 4.JPG
      4.JPG
      File size:
      1.8 MB
      Views:
    • 2.jpeg
      2.jpeg
      File size:
      1.5 MB
      Views:
    • 3.jpeg
      3.jpeg
      File size:
      1.4 MB
      Views:
  2. jay19 thread starter macrumors newbie

Installation (especially with the applicator) was extremely easy. Like the Nillkin version, the screen protector only adheres to the actual "screen" part of the iPhone 6. However, as I mentioned earlier, the silicone edges should prevent dust from accumulating underneath.

On the upper left corner, I did get a small bubble that wouldn't seem to go away, but as I mentioned, this is a pre-production sample, and I'm sure this will be fixed in the final version.

At first, I was a bit skeptical of the clear silicone material, but it actually worked out quite well, and is not very noticeable in person. You can still feel the edges, but they are not nearly as sharp as the Nillkin.

Like most other full coverage options, case compatibility may be an issue (my aluminium bumper case wouldn't work). My only other recommendation is I would like to see the front camera covered (right now there is a cutout) however this is pretty minor, and the Phantom Glass is still by far the best full coverage glass screen protector I've used. If you guys have any questions, I'd be happy to try and answer them!

Attached Files:

• 5.JPG
      5.JPG
      File size:
      1.5 MB
      Views:
    • 6.JPG
      6.JPG
      File size:
      1.8 MB
      Views:
    • 7.JPG
      7.JPG
      File size:
      1.9 MB
      Views:
    • 8.JPG
      8.JPG
      File size:
      1.6 MB
      Views:
  3. Mrmikey7 macrumors member

Doesn't look too bad. I have a space gray 6 and am using the iloome glass protector and I'm pretty pleased with it but this looks like something I may be interested in. Any ideas on when it will be released?

4. jay19 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just checked their website for you, and the stated release date is "December 2014", so hopefully soon :).

5. Jigga macrumors 6502

6. Nipommu macrumors regular

there is no adhesive to the borders? like the nillkin? if there only the screen sticks i can see dust and particles getting trapped in between the borders...how tightly does it stick to the phone?

thanks

7. Kisey macrumors 6502a

Hmm...not sure if Phamtom Glass employee or not. New member, posts are only regarding Phantom Glass. No reviews of the other protectors you've tested...

8. nguyen6323 macrumors newbie

also appears to be that he has two of them... one in the background and one in the applicator apparatus in his second picture

9. Jigga macrumors 6502

Smart detective work, calling BS.

10. jay19, Dec 1, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2014

jay19 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope, not employee. Although full disclosure, I did receive phantom glass as free sample to test which is why I wrote the review. The other one you see is the nillkin which I took off because I dropped my phone and cracked it

11. jay19 thread starter macrumors newbie

To answer your questions, I do not have the apple case but don't think it would be compatible. As for dust, I'll get back to you guys after a few days

12. Jigga macrumors 6502