New Phone - all activity gone?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by lg251, Aug 29, 2015.

1. lg251 macrumors 6502

The AppleStore just replaced my iPhone 6 Plus as part of the "camera" issue recall. Now the genius bar employee did not unpair my AppleWatch before erasing it. I had backed up my iPhone before leaving this morning, so I had everything on the computer. However, when restoring from backup no more activities. All my achievements were gone as well.

I paired my watch with the phone again (using the latest backup that was there) and still nothing. I'm back to square one! ...Am I overlooking something?

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The backup needed to be encrypted in iTunes in order to retain activity data.

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Was your iPhone backup encrypted? If not, I'm afraid the data is gone. :(

4. lg251 thread starter macrumors 6502

Didn't have an encrypted backup...Apple should really show you a pop up when you backup your iPhone for the 1st time after you've been using an AppleWatch with your phone. Macbook pro with iPhone and AppleWatch, you'd think they would make it clear about that part (especially after visiting their Store).

Now I just read their support page and did see it mentions about the encryption but still...

I had an old iCloud backup (August 16th) so restored the phone from that and had all the data up until that date. I guess it's better than nothing. Bye bye perfect move month :(

5. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

We have seen this happen many times. There are warnings but I agree with you and I have posted in the past that there needs to be a better warning for watch users backing up in iTunes. You are not the first to loose their data and I am sure you will not be the last.

6. sean000 macrumors 65816

sean000

I'm sorry it happened. I wish that Apple would make the limitations of each backup method more obvious, but unfortunately you may not know what isn't being backed up unless you stumble onto this page:
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204136

Personally I believe iCloud is the best method for most people when it comes to backups and restores, but both methods have their pros and cons. I use iCloud to restore my devices, and iTunes as my backup to my backup. At least your iCloud backup wasn't terribly old, but it's always a good idea to make sure you have a recent iCloud backup before you have work done on your phone.

Sean

7. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Apple operates under the assumption that most people are likely backing up to iCloud at this point.

8. sean000 macrumors 65816

sean000

Unfortunately iCloud is useless for most people unless they pay to upgrade the storage quota. Sure it is a cheap upgrade, but many don't do it. Most people have more than 5 GB in their photo app alone.

9. lg251 thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree most people backup with iCloud now, but 5GB is not enough for me and on August 17th all of a sudden I was out of storage and needed 500 more MB...I had nothing new on the phone, so I decided I'd check that later to see what happened. Since I backup on my computer, regularly I didn't bother doing it rapidly (lesson learned)!

In the end I lost 12 days of activity (the perfect month and a few achievements) but mostly time spent moving pictures back to my iPhone and other stuff that I don't back up via iCloud!

Thank you all for your response.

10. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

One device will backup just fine.

11. menace3 macrumors 6502

menace3

Damn..that does suck. I guess I will make sure mine is backed up and encrypted and saved a few places beofre doing the camera recall.

12. OrangeWhip macrumors newbie

OrangeWhip

I disagree. 5 GB is pretty anemic for backup purposes. 5 GB of photos and videos are not hard to accumulate in a short period.

13. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

3 of the 4 iPhones in my household need more than 5GB for backup. It just takes a little bit of photo and video activity to put it over the line.

14. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

What I did is stop backing up photos and videos to iCloud. I just back them up somewhere else, like dropbox or onedrive. That way, I do have a backup in iCloud of all the iPhone settings and watch data.

15. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

I got burned by this as well... Lost all my health data.

I wish the genius bar had mentioned that before I had the phone replaced. I was only using the non-encrypted backup...

Hey - does anyone know if other encryption information is saved with an encrypted backup? For example, I use Duo Mobile (like Google Authenticator) for 2 Factor Authentication. When I replaced my backed up phone, those settings were lost as well...

16. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yes, wifi passwords are saved with an encrypted backup.