New Phone Arrival Tomorrow...but

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ArkieBiker, Sep 27, 2016.

1. ArkieBiker macrumors regular

ArkieBiker

It's been awhile since I upgraded. I'm going from an iPhone 6 plus to the iPhone 7 plus...is the only thing I have to do is to backup my iPhone 6 Plus to the iCloud, then take the sim card out of the iPhone 6 plus and put it into the 7 plus? And then restore.

Also wife is getting my my iPhone 6 Plus (from an iPhone 5s)...again, do we use her sim card and put it into the iPhone 6 plus before RESTORING her backup?

2. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Doesn't matter if you put it in before or after. Only difference will be the method of activation (wifi vs. cellular).

As far as backing up/restoring, I'd recommend iTunes vs. iCloud.

3. ArkieBiker thread starter macrumors regular

ArkieBiker

I thought that iCloud backed up texts also? And that iTunes did not back up texts?

4. medenblik macrumors regular

medenblik

My 7plus came with a SIM and turning it on activated to my number Then you can do a restore from backup

5. Pod4477 macrumors member

Pod4477

I recommend backing up on iTunes and iCloud. I usually restore from an iTunes backup and 'reset all settings' to make it feel brand new. It should ask you for your iCloud account details when you set up the phone as well, so I like to have it from restored from an iTunes backup and always have iCloud just incase.

6. Aml216 macrumors 6502a

Aml216

A mysterious location in the middle of nowhere
    Same here

7. ArkieBiker thread starter macrumors regular

ArkieBiker

Does iTunes restore text messages also?
    --- Post Merged, Sep 27, 2016 ---
    And what about my wife going from iPhone 5s to my old iPhone 6 Plus? Her sim or my old one?

8. largefarrva macrumors 6502a

iTunes restores everything as long as you do an encrypted backup. It's also way quicker than iCloud. My wife did iCloud and I used iTunes to restore on Saturday when we got our phones, and I was done a lot quicker than her.

9. Cvx5832 macrumors regular

On AT&T I just turned it on, followed the prompts and the signal moved from the old sim to the new.

Then just restore from backup. I did the backup om my Mac so it would go much faster.

10. its Dale macrumors 6502

my iCloud backed up everything i needed. texts and all. just make sure you set it up that way. Also, your phone should come with a new sim that will activate once it is powered on. your old sim will then deactivate

11. pdxmatts macrumors 65816

pdxmatts

Yes, you can put her sim into your old 6 Plus. Reset to new, put in her sim card and restore from her back up

12. medenblik macrumors regular

medenblik

Did this with mine and the wife's phones. Easy and simple