New phone, old SIM

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by k22texan, Dec 18, 2010.

1. k22texan macrumors newbie

So, I have just the SIM card for one of our iPhone numbers, but no phone. If I buy any iPhone should I be able to just slip that SIM card into the phone and have everything good to go? Or will I need to jump through some special AT&T hoops before?
    Long story short, lost phone, wasn't eligible for upgrade yet so we opted to add a "ghost" line so we could get the cheap price on the replacement iphone. They put a SIM card for the number we were replacing the phone with into the new phone and just gave us the SIM card for the ghost number. Lost that phone too (don't ask) and am trying to figure out the cheapest way to replace the phone. I figured if I could use the SIM card from the ghost line then I could buy any iphone online and it should work?
    Thanks guys!

2. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

if you want it to work out of the box w/out jailbraking it then you should buy an AT&T US iPhone OR an official unlocked model, if you buy any other then you would need to jb to then unlock it to use on AT&T

3. k22texan thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, the person I'm buying it from had it for 2 weeks and got the 4G for Christmas and is selling it. Their carrier is also AT&T US. So, this should work?

4. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

It should work out of the box as long as that person bought it in the US from Apple or AT&T and not somewhere else...