New phone

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jmpnop, Apr 21, 2011.

1. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

I want to buy an Android phone and looking for some input from you guys. The newly released Samsung Galaxy SL looks very good to me. It costs around $400 here (expressed in USD). Other high-end phones like HTC Desire S, HTC Incredible S, Samsung Galaxy S, etc cost over $500 which is out of my budget. After reading about Galaxy SL I found that it has a different graphic processor (PowerVR SGX 530). I wanted to know if its capable of playing games smoothly. Also Samsung Wave 2 is available for $370 but Bada OS doesn't have many apps/games so I'm leaning towards Galaxy SL. Other phones in the price range are HTC Desire, Nokia N8, Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 which are old and unimpressive. What do you guys suggest?

2. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Have you seen the Galaxy S 2? There is a plethora of data and news surrounding it right now, you should definitely look into it.

Coming to the UK at the end of this month and it should expand out within May.

3. jmpnop thread starter macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

I did read about S2 but its out of budget. I don't live in US or UK, we only get unlocked phones here. Galaxy S2 costs approx ($630 USD) here which is out of my budget. Galaxy SL was released a few days ago which is $200 cheaper than many other phones ($300 cheaper than S2). Now coming back to my point, I wanted to know if the graphic processor in SL capable. It has 1GHz ARM Cortex A8, PowerVR SGX 530 GPU on TI OMAP 3630 chipset. Motorola Droid X also has the same config, so should I expect the same performance?