New PhotoBooth Effects Found!! Help Me IMPORT THEM!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by robjrussell, Nov 3, 2007.

1. robjrussell macrumors member

So open up address book select one of your contacts, press edit then double click on your contacts photo.
    (notice the affects button) there's more effects!!

now can anyone figure out how to get those in ichat and photobooth?
    i tried figuring it out.. but i don't really have much understanding about it..

rob

2. rhoydotp macrumors 6502

rhoydotp

i have no answer but what you found seems interesting :)
    i'm interested to know as well. maybe it has been opened for 3rd-party effects also which would be very cool

3. maxlew macrumors newbie

i wouldnt know where to start looking for them, i tried searching for .qtz files in spotlight. but if you have the developer tools you can open up quartz composer and recreate them fairly quickly with help of this template this template from quartzfx.com

4. robjrussell thread starter macrumors member

unfortunately I don't have the developer tools..
    just leopard here..

5. rosh325 macrumors regular

There was/is a great post going on about the people who brought the hologram effect back to photobooth/ichat. They may be able to help, you can find the thread in the Mac OSx section.

Nice Catch

6. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

I believe those are just image effects not actual camera effects that you can see in action in Photo Booth or iChat.

I could be mistaken but I don't think I am. They're actually (if you play with it you'll see what I'm talking about) applied AFTER a photo is taken. Hence image effects/editing.

7. veeco3110 macrumors 6502

veeco3110

8. robjrussell thread starter macrumors member

i don't think you're correct.. why?
    because when you open up your window to take a photo..
    before you press the take photo button you can select your
    effect, then after that the photo takes with the effect active..

rob

9. elbows macrumors regular

Im pretty sure I found the relevant qtz files for these effects in /system/library/compositions.

Havent had any luck converting them to work in iChat or photobooth though, havent figured out what part of the quartz composer patches stops this compatibility yet.

10. robjrussell thread starter macrumors member

wow. very interesting find there..
    i'm gonna see if i can import..

11. robjrussell thread starter macrumors member

hmm.. i went about it the same way as lallenlowe but iChat wouldn't recognize it..

i also copied ice-cube's method to import to photobooth.. but nothing.

12. lallenlowe macrumors member

Getting these effects to work

Hi guys, it's lallenlowe. In order to make these work with iChat/photo booth they will have to be rebuilt in Quartz composer, and they WILL work. I could take them all and do it, but I'm not sure they'd let me post them. So, get Quartz composer off your install DVD or download developer tools, then open up the effect you want, and then open up the demo composition located at www.quartzfx.com. Copy the necessary filters and effects into his tutorial, save it, and install it just like you did with my hologram effects and upside down. If that doesn't work, you can open up one of my compositions and start from there! Happy Quartzing!

BTW: Someone mentioned that in order to get photobooth to see your effects you nee a complete set of 8, and then if you want it to see more, you need 8 more and so on and so forth, this is true, and you won't have to edit the .plist!

13. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

He's correct. Obviously you can just "convert" them now, however if you take your photo in Address Book for your contact with an affect, you'll notice the image appears in the iChat recent image list, but wont have the effect applied. It'll just be a regular image.

14. robjrussell thread starter macrumors member

ok.

but my question is how does that prove anything?
    all you've proven is that the affect doesn't keep in ichat..

15. lokithefirst macrumors newbie

I'm confused also...

I thought Quartz plug-ins were basic building blocks that could be applied pretty much anywhere.
    Does this mean that there are different filters for pictures and for movies?
    Is there also a difference in a filter being used before a picture is taken and after a picture is taken?
    I was under the impression that one of the glories of Quartz was that you could create a filter and apply it pretty much anywhere you want?!?!
    Why then, does Address Book get more effect plug-ins than PhotoBooth? I really don't need my contacts to look all crazy but I enjoy showing Photobooth off to friends and having fun with the effects.