New Photographer Wants Advice

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by kwalsh16, Mar 16, 2008.

1. kwalsh16 macrumors newbie

These are a few of the pictures that i have taken since i got my camera last month, they are not my best work most of my other work is saved on my computer at school :( but these are a few of the ones that i had saved at home. Just tell me what you think.

http://flickr.com/photos/24728234@N02/?saved=1

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

For the light trail pictures you'll definitely want to put the camera on a tripod. Also turns and hills make for more interesting light trail pictures. The sunrise picture could do with more contrast to make it look less hazy, although I do like the composition. For the surfer pic, less photoshop is good and you'll need a longer lens focal length to make those shots really good. I think you'll want to get a higher quality lens like the Tamron 28-75 (Don't know if it can autofocus on the D40 though), and other than that a few edits in photoshop can get you a couple good pictures from that bunch.

3. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

I don't believe the Tamron (which is a great lens, have it myself) will AF on a D40, but I will reiterate g4's comments in that a tripod might be a great investment if you want to try long exposure photography. Its not user error, its just not humanly possible to hand hold a light trail shot.

4. kwalsh16 thread starter macrumors newbie

I actually just got a new lens... i believe it is the nikkor 55-300 (i don't have the lens at my house right now) Not sure if that is the lens, my camera is in school

5. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Probably the 55-200 ;)

6. ChrisA macrumors G4

If these are the kind of images he likes then all of them could be improved with even the cheapest tripod. As for the "quality" of the lens, a tripod will do more to increase sharpness of these kinds for photos than would spending $1,500 on a professional quality lens.

7. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I was not talking about getting a professional quality lens for the long exposures, that was for pictures in general.