Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kitch95

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2008
Hi
I am new to photography and have been using my dads old canon eos 300d for a while. But now I have decided to upgrade and buy my self a camera. I have narrowed it down to the canon eos 1000d and the canon powershot G10.

I would be mainly using the camera for taking photos of food for my very small business and for recreational photography.

Any advice would be much appreciated thanks.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
If you currently have lenses for the 300D then you should go with the 1000D as it is a very decent camera. The G10 is good also, but you won't have any room for improvement with it since it does not have interchangeable lenses. You might consider selling the 300D and putting that money towards lenses as well :)

SteveMobs

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2008
Washington D.C.
Neat. As far as cameras go, I don't know.

But I looked through the site and found this.

"World Challenge is an expedition to various long & short hall destinations around the world. The trip I’m taking part in is to Morocco in May this year. The trek takes a week and involves going across a desert and summiting a mountain."

I think you meant to use the word "haul" as opposed to "hall".

Neat business though.

kitch95

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2008
Neat. As far as cameras go, I don't know.

But I looked through the site and found this.

"World Challenge is an expedition to various long & short hall destinations around the world. The trip I’m taking part in is to Morocco in May this year. The trek takes a week and involves going across a desert and summiting a mountain."

I think you meant to use the word "haul" as opposed to "hall".

Neat business though.
Thanks for pointing out the error I will change that

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
You will get much better quality and more flexibility out of the DSLR. The point-and-shoot will give you a smaller package, but has few other benefits (actually no other benefits that I can think of).

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
You can get a previous generation mid-level model for a decent price. I think that's a better investment than getting the latest entry-level model. Also, lenses are more important than bodies. Spend less on the camera if it gets you a better glass.

This might sound like a silly excuse to get an SLR, but school clubs, for example, seems to like letting people with SLRs in as their 'photographers' if there's an event. Having an SLR gives you more cred and in turn will allow you to get interesting shooting jobs where you can really challenge your skills.

If you really want to learn, ignore the size and weight.

Happy shooting. :)

Edit: Didn't read that you were going to travel. If so, it's your call. The G10 is a very nice camera. I'd personally still bring my SLR, but I'd pick ONE lens to bring with me, two at most.

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
Do you have to give the 300D back or something? I ask because it is actually a fine body and will hardly give worse results for most purposes than these newer cameras. What would likely improve things would be better light, perhaps props and a decent macro lens. You ought to be able to get some of this stuff with the money saved from the camera. Just a thought.

kitch95

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2008
Do you have to give the 300D back or something? I ask because it is actually a fine body and will hardly give worse results for most purposes than these newer cameras. What would likely improve things would be better light, perhaps props and a decent macro lens. You ought to be able to get some of this stuff with the money saved from the camera. Just a thought.

I do its not my camera I just borrow it when I need it. E.g. when I take photos of my food

kitch95

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2008
You can get a previous generation mid-level model for a decent price. I think that's a better investment than getting the latest entry-level model. Also, lenses are more important than bodies. Spend less on the camera if it gets you a better glass.

This might sound like a silly excuse to get an SLR, but school clubs, for example, seems to like letting people with SLRs in as their 'photographers' if there's an event. Having an SLR gives you more cred and in turn will allow you to get interesting shooting jobs where you can really challenge your skills.

If you really want to learn, ignore the size and weight.

Happy shooting. :)

Edit: Didn't read that you were going to travel. If so, it's your call. The G10 is a very nice camera. I'd personally still bring my SLR, but I'd pick ONE lens to bring with me, two at most.

I am leaning towards the DSLR for flexibility and I would be carrying it in a rucksack most of the time.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
dSLR always

Buy glass and use an old body if you can - good glass is better than a newer camera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.