New Photos app: easier to use Faces or keywords?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jk73, Apr 11, 2015.

1. jk73 macrumors 6502

I haven't switched to the new Photos app yet. Among other things, I'm not happy about the loss of the Places map, and the removal of the ability to tag photos with a location.

I was never a huge Faces fan. Can Faces be turned off in the new Photos app, or does it ask for a Face(s) for every picture? Is Faces better or worse than it is in iPhoto?

What about keywords? Do they transfer from iPhoto to Photos consistently? Would I be better off tagging photos with keywords of the person's or people's name(s) rather than screwing around with Faces?

Thanks for all feedback.

2. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

There's no need to turn Faces off (and no way to do it). Faces only "asks" for faces when you're using Faces. If you ignore the feature, it's as if it doesn't exist. If you select View > Show Face Names it will only show names that have already been assigned using Faces.

Performance-wise, I'm not sure whether Faces is better, worse, or the same as iPhoto (though I suspect better). There are some changes, and it seems to find more faces automatically (when you assign a name to a "Suggested" face, it'll report, "You've added X photos of (person). Y were added by you. Z were added automatically"). It's still doesn't find/match faces as easily as I'd like.

I haven't seen reports of any issues with the transfer of metadata (including descriptions and keywords) and haven't encountered any myself. That doesn't mean it's impossible, but it doesn't seem to be a significant issue. Star ratings are converted into Keywords. I definitely like the Keyword Manager tool. If you do decide to use Keywords instead of Faces and/or Places, I think you'll find it helpful. (I suspect that the metadata is not actually converted or copied when the database is converted - like Master images and edit data, it may be generating "hard links" to the existing data files.)

Why shouldn't you use Keywords for faces? You won't have any help from the software in locating those faces.

On the other hand, adding keywords for location now could pay dividends. If the feature never returns, the work will be worthwhile, and and if the ability to assign locations returns, having already keyworded the places ought to make the process of getting the location data into the system a good bit easier.

3. gpspad macrumors 6502

I have been trying to justify all the work of id'ing faces or adding keywords, if the data doesn't transfer to another mac or the cloud. It doesn't seem worth the effort.