New Photos App For External Large Library

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by revenent, Mar 16, 2015.

1. revenent macrumors regular

I have an Aperture Library that is 100Gb and more residing on an external HDD (Referenced File).

Do you think it is advisable to use the new Photos App for such a setup?

In addition, when i import from my external Aperture Library, my Aperture library is greyed out.

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

No for two main reasons.

Photos is still in beta, I wouldn't trust my library to beta software ever, and would want to see a period of stable operation of the public release before switching.

and

Photos isn't a replacement for the functionality in Aperture - I've migrated to Capture One Pro instead and haven't looked back, C1 is much better than Aperture (or Lightroom IMHO) at RAW processing and is comparable to Aperture in managing your library, referenced or managed.

Aperture library greyed out? Sounds like that would be the same library, obviously you can't import one library into itself, is that what you mean? If not perhaps a screenshot?

3. revenent thread starter macrumors regular

Okay.

My Aperture is setup in this way.

Both the referenced original files and the Aperture library file resides on my 2TB external HDD.

In the Photos App, after it launches, i select File > Import and browse to my external HDD > Aperture Folder. Inside i see a whole list of folders that corresponds to my album name as well as the Aperture Library file which Aperture creates in there. That file is greyed out.

4. robgendreau macrumors 68040

I don't have Photos running now, but I seem to recall it wasn't a matter of opening an Aperture library from the File menu, but using option-open when it starts in order to select an existing Aperture library, which it would then convert. Like one would do with iPhoto. If that's your intent....

5. revenent thread starter macrumors regular

Ah i see.

So i just option click to open the Photos App and when prompted to select a new or existing library, i point it to my aperture library instead.