New Photos App Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by smooth, Apr 12, 2015.

1. smooth macrumors 6502

smooth

For years I have used iPhoto as my main photos app. I have all my photos organized into albums. I the sync those albums - selectively - to an iphone and 3 ipads via itunes.

My question is - if I switch over to the new Photos app, is there a way to have certain albums on just some of my idevices? Can I pick and choose? If so, how is it done? Via itunes? Or the Photos app on the device?

Thank you in advance for the help

2. djmalone macrumors newbie

I'd really like to know this as well. I'm new to OS X, having bought my first Mac 10 days ago, and I'm having some real problems working out just where the hell my photos actually are and how to get hold of the physical files on one device (HD/Backup Drive/USB/whatever).

I have an iPhone, iPad, use icloud and have (seemingly mistakenly) moved my photos to the new Photos App from iPhoto.

1) What I'd also love to know is, why when I have 70GB of photos and they are set to sync with icloud that I am only using 18GB of my 200GB limit? And of that 16GB only 12GB is photos. Where are the others?

2) I accidentally added a photos folder to Photos App, which has then synced them all on my phone. How do I undo this? They are my wife's iPhone pic and I don't want them. I tried deleting the folder (they're backed up elsewhere) but that doesn't seem to be removing them from my iPhone.

So far all I can say is thank god I still have my PC to fall back on...

3. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

The folders in Photos doesn't seem to actually hold the images, only reference them. To delete the images you need to delete them from the 'Photos' pane in the App. You can however delete the photos from the 'Album' view by using Cmd+Delete.

4. djmalone macrumors newbie

That's what i was afraid you'd say. Unfortunately there is 5gb of them so manually finding and deleting them isn't going to be possible. aaarrrggghhh

5. BillyBobBongo, Apr 13, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2015

BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

Make a 'Smart Album' looking for images from an iPhone.

File > New Smart Album

Set the 'Condition' as 'Camera Model includes iPhone x', where x is the model of your wife's phone. It will pool all the images in that folder that were made by an iPhone 4 for example. Then find her images and delete them.

6. djmalone macrumors newbie

Thanks, that's a useful trick to remember for when I'm filtering other pictures.

Unfortunately, in this case I don't think it'll work as she is using my old iphone and, that aside, how would it be able to tell which photos are mine and which are hers given we've both had a number of iphones since 2011.

7. gpspad macrumors 6502

I did that to weed out all the pics taken from an iPad, it worked great.

8. Doth macrumors member

Doth

That trick works really well with all kinds of smart albums.