new photos app @timecapsule = no icloud functions?!?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Maddeen, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Maddeen, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015

Maddeen macrumors newbie

Hopefully this is just a bug - i'm about to explode how stupid Apple programmed the photos app if this is the truth :(

Until tomorrow i stored my "iphoto library" at the time capsule. Just like any other file. iPhoto doesn't have any problems with this. i can activate the icloud funktions - all worked fine. And that was good cause nobody (except prof photographers) want to stuff their limited SSD-Space with a photo library.

So i installed 10.10.3 - started the new photos app with "pressed ALT-Key" - generate a new library on my TC. So fine - But than i go to the preferences - icloud tab and want to activate it --> FAIL !! :( (see Screenshot)

Here is a simple translation of the message

The iCloud Photolibrary is only available on volumes formatted with Mac OS Standard or Mac OS Extended.
    To check the format of your volume go to finder and open the information for the volumen. the format ist displayed in the field "Format".

[​IMG]

Am i really the only one who outsorces his library on a time capsule or air port extreme with a integrated HDD ? I can't believe that Apple was so stupid and is not able to enable icloud functions on a library that's stored on an Apple Device ?!?

I can't see the "real format" of the TC - cause the TC is mounted by AFP:// (just normal i think)
    Searching via google gives no save answer. Some say that the TC is formated with HFS+ (in that case i wonder why this error above pops ups) - and other say that it can't be HFS+ cause Windows can't read/write on HFS+

And now ?!?

Crossing fingers and thanks in advance for any information given.

2. kieru macrumors newbie

The simplest solution would be to re-format your TimeCapsule backup drive to be Mac OS Standard or Extended. What format do you have it set to now, and is there any specific reason that could not be changed?

3. Maddeen thread starter macrumors newbie

I think there is no option to format it with a specific format.

There is just a button within the airport-utility "FORMAT" - no options can be set :( Or i just don't know how to do it.

I think the problem is, that is mounted via AFP -- thats the "FORMAT" what the finder says for the volume. And so photos is not able to recordnize thats a HFS+ format. :(

But to be sure i need one user that also want to outsource the library to the TC -- or just do it as a example to proof if its a "normal problem"

Maybe some one can just create a new library (holding ALT and start photos app) on the TC - set it as "systemlibrary" and check if he can enable the icloud functions.

4. Maddeen thread starter macrumors newbie

I also found the info below here - with this explination it HAVE TO BE a bug - crossing fingers again :confused:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1309648