New Photos of Chongqing Apple Store Set to Open Tomorrow

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 30, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Preparing to open its doors around 10 AM local time in Jiefangbei Square in Chongqing, China tomorrow, Apple has allowed a few members of the Chinese press inside the new store before the grand opening (via MacX).

[​IMG]

Bearing a strong resemblance to the Pudong store in Shangai and the Fifth Avenue store in New York, the majority of the new Chongqing location resides under street level, with a massive glass structure, featuring the Apple logo, hiding a staircase down to lower levels. The company is timing the new location's opening, and a handful of others, to coincide with the Chinese New Year festivities hitting next month.

[​IMG]

Apple has been steadily opening more and more retail locations across China, pushing unique marketing campaigns - like the Hangzhou store's calligraphy video or Chongqing's own art mural - to drum up more overseas interest in Apple. In a statement made last October, Tim Cook said the company hopes to open 25 Apple Stores in China within the next two years.

Article Link: New Photos of Chongqing Apple Store Set to Open Tomorrow

2. acctman macrumors 65816

acctman

Apple is unstoppable, make it even easier to obtain Apple products in China

3. PeterKG macrumors 6502

Broad daylight in China and in the photo you can't see the sunshine through the thick layer of smog.

4. geoffreyspencer macrumors newbie

The ground is wet by the looks of it. It may simply be a rainy day and nothing to do with smog.

5. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

Too many separate panes of glass. Should have carved it all out of a single block of glass.

6. Recognition macrumors 6502a

Recognition

Looks like it's been raining, can't have rain without CLOUDS.

7. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

8. hkenneth macrumors regular

Don't be ignorant. Chongqing is like Seattle. Always raining.

9. ricci macrumors 6502

ricci

I have always said that but I'm not an engineer and im pretty sure it's hard to do! One peace that big would have to be flown in and I don't know if that's the defining point why they have not done that already! Anybody else with knowledge on one solid piece of glass?

10. pdaholic macrumors 65816

pdaholic

"Okay, which genius at the Genius Bar wants to clean windows today?"

Interesting that Genius Bar is autocapitalized.

11. Canyonero macrumors member

Too many pieces of glass. Ugly. Remind of the 5th Ave cube before it was made sleeker. Need the same engineer crew here.

12. Infinitewisdom macrumors 6502a

You guys crack me up. So how many multimillion dollar retail stores have you designed recently?

13. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

I wonder how it will stand up to a earthquake?

14. talking macrumors newbie

Tell us how you really feel.

15. AlecZ macrumors 65816

AlecZ

16. underattack macrumors member

I have been in Chongqing this time of the year, and cloud/light rain like in this picture is kind of typical. That said, Chongqing is known as pretty badly polluted due to a bunch of chemical factories around the city. You don't notice the bad air quality as much as in Beijing, but there tends to be a "wet dust slime" all over side walks and such if there is a light rain. It won't be easy to keep those windows nice and clean.

17. Mike MA macrumors 68000

Mike MA

I'm not getting the sense behind the golden Apple logo either...havn't seen that before.

18. viorelgn macrumors 6502

viorelgn

Probably an elevator nearby. When I first saw the image, I thought that the cylinder was the store! :):):)