Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2006
Guys,

I'm running El Cap and imported our vacation photos from my iPhone 5c today. The import worked fine, but I'm wondering where OS X puts the actual image files? What directory can I go to and open files to use in other apps?

Best

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
I'm wondering where OS X puts the actual image files? What directory can I go to and open files to use in other apps?
Go to the Pictures folder.
Right click on the "Photos Library" and select "Show Package Contents" from the pop up menu (3rd down from the top).
Open the Masters folder and work through the sub folders.

I do not think other apps will be able to access the image files in the Photos Library.

This is the method I prefer:
- Create a new folder with a name of your choice.
- Launch the Photos app.
-Select the thumbnails of the pictures you want and drag them to the new folder you created. The full-size picture will be copied to the folder.
- Launch the other app and point it to the new folder with the image files.

Reactions: Irishman

iDento

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
iCloud Servers
You can use Image Capture app (I think by default it is in the Utilities folder) to import the photos from iPhone 5C directly to any folder you want in Finder.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
In many Mac applications it doesn't matter if the images are sequestered in the Photos library; you can use "Media>Photos" in a Finder sidebar to access the photos, including albums, moments, etc. Usually only works when going to open or access images from an image app, although it will show up as a browser in like Mail.

You can also turn off the "copy into..." option in Photos prefs so that the images will NOT be copied into the Photos library upon import, but left in their respective folders and referenced there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.