CarPlay New Pioneer Head Unit For Carplay

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by MatthewStorm, Jun 9, 2018.

1. MatthewStorm macrumors 6502a

MatthewStorm

Has anyone installed the brand new Pioneer AVIC W8400NEX in their car? It's a total beast. My first time with carplay. A couple of issues I've noticed: When in Navigation mode my music will constantly switch from whatever is playing back to Apple Music. It only stays on the other music selection for about 3-4 minutes before switching. It's super annoying. The Pioneer website has a list of Apps that work with it and one listed is OBD Doctor. I installed it on my phone but for the life of me can't get it to show up on screen.

Also, I'm in wireless mode but I can't figure out how it's happening. Under Wifi in settings it finds the Pioneer but asks for an 8 digit password which nobody seems to have and it's not written anywhere. I'm not connected by Bluetooth, either. I have a blue background around my time in the upper left corner of the screen like my Hotspot is running. But if I go into Hotspot settings on the phone it immediately disconnects the phone from the head unit. It's all very strange.

2. StoneJack macrumors 65816

StoneJack

Not sure about the wifi issues, but I bought Pioneer AVH 1300 (will install soon). Yes, it is also stated as OBD compatible, however you need to install Maestro idataLink for that.

From Pioneer website on your headunit:

iDataLink Maestro

Keep your factory features and expand your level of in-vehicle connectivity with Pioneer NEX and iDatalink Maestro RR. When your AVIC-W8400NEX receiver is installed into a compatible vehicle using the iDatalink Maestro RR (sold separately), you’ll be able to enjoy the performance and features of the AVIC-W8400NEX receiver plus touchscreen control over key factory audio features.
    The AVIC-W8400NEX supports factory functions via the iDatalink Maestro RR including: Steering Wheel Controls, Media Player (including the factory AUX-in and USB ports), Hands-Free Telephone, Voice Commands, Satellite Radio, and Secondary Display Support.

Also, check for firmware update; I know that AVH 1300 also has a new firmware.

3. MatthewStorm thread starter macrumors 6502a

MatthewStorm

Unfortunately, the Maestro down not yet support my car (2008 Corvette). Apparently, they are a small company and things don't happen fast. They said it is in the R&D pipeline, though.