New Podcasts sync behaviour

Steve28

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2011
Not sure when this started - maybe iOS12.1/Watch OS 5.1? It *used* to be that when you had the "Listen now" option set to sync, it would sync every episode that appeared in Listen Now. So If I had 3 new episodes of a podcast waiting, it would sync all three.

The other day about half-way through my hour-long run, the podcast I was listening to was over, but then the next episode didn't start playing. I could see it listed in "Library" but there was a little cloud icon next to it - probably indicating that it wasn't downloaded. Grrrrr.

So I get home and start looking through the settings on my phone, and I noticed (left image) that it indicates: "Your iPhone will try to add one episode from every show in Listen Now". I didn't remember it saying that when I first set this up with iOS 12 and Watch OS 5. Luckily, the internet never forgets and I was able to find an image from iOS 12.0 of the Watch app and the Podcast prefs in the Watch app looked like the image on the right:

IMG_0211.PNG
Podcast-Watch.png

Left: iOS 12.1; Right iOS 12.0
If you select "Custom" it looks like it will try to keep 3 of every podcast selected, which is better, but some of the podcasts I listen to are only 10-15 minutes long, so I need to sync more than that.

Was this covered in any of the release notes?? Anyone else notice?

matrix07

macrumors 601
Jun 24, 2010
The other day about half-way through my hour-long run, the podcast I was listening to was over, but then the next episode didn't start playing. I could see it listed in "Library" but there was a little cloud icon next to it - probably indicating that it wasn't downloaded. Grrrrr.
This is where the LTE version shines I guess. I have faced this situation almost weekly and I just couldn’t care if a Podcast was synced. All I need to do is press play.