New port... or maybe no port?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DarkJello, Jul 28, 2011.

1. DarkJello macrumors member

Anyone think we will see conductive charging and wireless syncing with the new model? That could mean there would be no data port at all on the new iPhone. Could help Apple make the push towards everything working in the cloud.

2. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I think you'd still need a port for restores and emergencies and DFU mode, etc.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

The 30 pin port makes apple alot of money it's going nowhere!

4. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

Unless data caps are truly gone (no throttling) and there is acceptable data speeds in countries where iPhone officially sells, I don't see Apple abandoning on board storage or port connections in favor of everything in the cloud. Which means not in the near future.

5. DarkJello thread starter macrumors member

I think they would keep onboard storage for music, apps and such, but I think it would be a pretty interesting idea.

I hope they don't because of various accessories I have that require the connector, but it would be pretty cool.

I also think that they won't change the connector because they have such a large line that uses it is dumb. We would never have any progress if products including their connections were updated from time to time. And the connector is pretty big as it is now...

6. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Exactly!

7. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

Until AirPlay has a higher adoption rate for 3rd party devices (licensed by Apple of course) then the 30 pin connector will stay.

8. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

We will never see this.

9. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

You must not be living in Canada then.

10. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I dont believe the30pin connector will be changed either.

The backwards accessory compatible port is always going to be a strong selling point for the iphones.

But just imagine if they did............. the third party companies that make iphone accessories would be really unhappy, not to mention all of us iphone users out there !