New poster - Question about upgrading to new iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PsychOfMSE, May 22, 2010.

1. PsychOfMSE macrumors member

My 32gb iPhone 3gS is developing hairline cracks and from what I've read Apple is replacing these as long as they're under warranty. Since the new iPhone should be coming out within the next month here's my plan:

Wait until the new iPhone is announced, have my 32gb 3gS replaced under warranty, open the box to jailbreak/unlock (if an unlock is available by then) and throw it up on ebay. I've seen them go for as high as $850 but realistically I'm thinking $700 for unlocked and brand new.

Since the top tier iPhone 3gS right now runs $699 with no contract would it be safe to say the new iPhones will run right around that? I'm a year away from an upgrade so buying off contract is pretty much my only option.

Any flaws in that plan?

Oh and I'm a long time reader, first time poster! Looks like there's a lot of intelligent discussion going on around here and you can tell by my sig I'm a mac enthusiast as I assume most of you are!

Thanks!

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

You can't sell it as "new," it is refurbished. List it as like new and hope to get around $550.

3. PsychOfMSE thread starter macrumors member

True

True, even refurbed and getting $500 that still offsets a lot of what a new iPhone off contract will cost me!

4. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Man, we need a freakin' sticky on one of these threads. Seems we get 2-3 new ones a day.

5. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

You can still sell it but listing it as new would be border-line fraud. Just warning you.

6. PsychOfMSE thread starter macrumors member

sorry about that! being a newcomer i had no idea!

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, we do.
    Wait another month or so...

8. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

Also, there is no guarantee they'll sell no-contract phones at launch. You may have to wait a few months.