New Power Chord

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SaintReggie25, May 2, 2009.

1. SaintReggie25 macrumors newbie

I just paid $80 for a new powercord.

The old one fell apart after less than a year. The tubing right by the magnet separated from the magnetic piece, leaving internal wires exposed until they all broke.

How can I stop this from happening with the new one? Tape? A device?

2. rolex54 macrumors 6502

be more careful with it
    if you don't place continued tension on it than that wont happen.

3. SaintReggie25 thread starter macrumors newbie

Obviously. Its not like I'd been using it to play tug-o-war. Are there any other preventative measures? The glue holding it all together is bound to fail one day, even on yours.

4. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Apple gave me a brand new Magsafe Adaptor (power chord) for free when my old one broke, dont you have Applecare?

5. SaintReggie25 thread starter macrumors newbie

hmmm...would that really help my now? Ive already bought a new one.

6. chgojcs macrumors member

No, this wouldn't help you now, but let's say something happens in the future, then yes, it would help you.

Not to jump all over the OP, but I don't understand how people do not realize things happen that are beyond our and Apple's control.

Get AppleCare. It's an extended warranty. Plus, if your computer is less then a year old, even without AppleCare, you should have still been covered.

Did you go to a store, or call Apple and explain what happened? Or did you just buy one?

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you still have the defective one you can turn it in to Apple after talking to them on the phone about it and they'll send you a replacement. Do you take your machine between home and work? I have 2 adapters; 1 in each place. I htink this cuts down on some of the wear and tear associated with constantly winding and unwinding the cords.

8. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Well most places have a return policy, so perhaps.

9. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

If it's less than a year, as stated, it's covered under normal warranty. Also, Apple did have an issue with the power cord breaking near the magsafe side of the cord which was published. I think even if it were out of warranty, they'd probably replace it because it's a known issue which could be a safety hazard. I think they have re-engineered the magsafe cords by reinforcing them at that spot, but try to avoid sharp bends or pressure on the cord in that area, which has been the general cause of the problem.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Go the store and make an appointment to get your old one exchanged under warranty; then take the new one you bought and return it for a refund.

11. richysledge macrumors newbie

liverpool 1

ive just got back with a new magsafe all for free no fuss no messing and my macs 18months old and i dont have applecare the coed had burnt out in two places very nice chaps