Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thirdkind

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2005
Columbus
A long-time Windows user, I made the switch about a month ago to a Power Mac G5. It's a dual 2.5, 1.5GB RAM, Geforce 6800 Ultra, 250GB HDD, Mighty Mouse (I can't give up my precious right-click), with other assorted goodies. Great machine so far aside from one nagging issue.

I bought the machine from MacMall and it came with Panther installed. I ordered a copy of Tiger to go with it, and the first thing I did was wipe the hard drive and perform a clean installation of Tiger. Everything seems to be running smoothly, but for some reason it won't wake from sleep. At least as far as I can tell it won't. The monitors shut off (I have a mulitmonitor setup until I can afford the Apple 30"), but jiggling the mouse, clicking its buttons repeatedly, and hitting random keys on the keyboard repeatedly won't make the monitors come back on. Since the monitors aren't on, I can't tell if the machine itself is awake or not. I suppose the next time it happens I could try opening the DVD drive and, if it opens, inserting a CD to see if it plays. That would at least confirm it's a display/video card problem.

Any ideas? I disabled sleep entirely in the meantime.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
thirdkind said:
A long-time Windows user, I made the switch about a month ago to a Power Mac G5. It's a dual 2.5, 1.5GB RAM, Geforce 6800 Ultra, 250GB HDD, Mighty Mouse (I can't give up my precious right-click), with other assorted goodies. Great machine so far aside from one nagging issue.

I bought the machine from MacMall and it came with Panther installed. I ordered a copy of Tiger to go with it, and the first thing I did was wipe the hard drive and perform a clean installation of Tiger. Everything seems to be running smoothly, but for some reason it won't wake from sleep. At least as far as I can tell it won't. The monitors shut off (I have a mulitmonitor setup until I can afford the Apple 30"), but jiggling the mouse, clicking its buttons repeatedly, and hitting random keys on the keyboard repeatedly won't make the monitors come back on. Since the monitors aren't on, I can't tell if the machine itself is awake or not. I suppose the next time it happens I could try opening the DVD drive and, if it opens, inserting a CD to see if it plays. That would at least confirm it's a display/video card problem.

Any ideas? I disabled sleep entirely in the meantime.

Do you have any PCI cards installed?

thirdkind

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2005
Columbus
I have an Adaptec Firewire/USB PCI card installed that I pulled from my old PC. Peripherals hooked up to the card work fine (an iPod and a Maxtor 300GB external hard drive, both via Firewire).

I did a fresh installation of Tiger last night, which reminded me of the sleep problem because I hadn't changed those settings yet (I'd turned off sleep a month ago when I installed Tiger for the first time). I did update to 10.4.2, but I can't remember if that was before or after experiencing the sleep issue.

I'll turn on sleep mode when I get home, let the Mac go to sleep, and see if I can wake it up. Perhaps 10.4.2 fixed it.

Waking up a Mac doesn't involve any particular keyboard shortcuts, right? Any button or mouse movement should do it?

thirdkind

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2005
Columbus
Can I just pull the card or do I have to "remove" it within OS X first? Sorry, lots of old Windows behavior that will take some time to shake off ;)

If it is the card, is there a workaround?

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
thirdkind said:
Can I just pull the card or do I have to "remove" it within OS X first? Sorry, lots of old Windows behavior that will take some time to shake off ;)

If it is the card, is there a workaround?

No, just physically remove the card.

OS X won't care if it is there or not, but it may be your sleep issue.

thirdkind

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2005
Columbus
So I put it to sleep manually and it won't wake up. Looks like 10.4.2 didn't fix it. If I only put the monitors to sleep, they wake up just fine.

I haven't tried pulling the Firewire card, but if there's nothing I can do about it if the card is causing the problem, I don't think I'll even bother checking. Can't ditch the card because I need the inputs. Would a PCI-X card be the cure?

I'll tell my wife I need the 30" display because it has the extra inputs I need ;)

JonBoy470

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2004
Your Adaprtec card is most likely to blame

The Adaptec card may not properly support PCI's low power mode, which would interfere with the 'puter's ability to sleep/wake properly.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
thirdkind said:
So I put it to sleep manually and it won't wake up. Looks like 10.4.2 didn't fix it. If I only put the monitors to sleep, they wake up just fine.

I haven't tried pulling the Firewire card, but if there's nothing I can do about it if the card is causing the problem, I don't think I'll even bother checking. Can't ditch the card because I need the inputs. Would a PCI-X card be the cure?

I'll tell my wife I need the 30" display because it has the extra inputs I need ;)

The two Belkin cards in my PM let is sleep nicely. I try to stay away from most everything else.

thirdkind

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2005
Columbus
This card and this card?

I'll probably hold off on the purchase because I've convinced my wife I need a 30" display. That would give me more USB and Firewire inputs than I need.

Thanks for your help.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
thirdkind said:
This card and this card?

I'll probably hold off on the purchase because I've convinced my wife I need a 30" display. That would give me more USB and Firewire inputs than I need.

Thanks for your help.

Those are the exact two I have in my PM - but a word of warning - the FireWire and USB outputs for the displays do not like to be plugged into PCI cards and often do not activate on start up.

I haved my USB and FireWire leads from my display plugged into the logic board outputs.

thirdkind

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2005
Columbus
That was my plan. Remove the card and plug the leads from the display directly into the standard USB/Firewire ports.

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
PCI cards are really bad for breaking sleep on powermacs. I have a USB2 card in my powermac G4 and it won't wake up from sleep about half the time. The monitor goes off but the fans stay on.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
thirdkind said:
This card and this card?

Thanks for your help.

If you can afford the 30" Cinema Display, then I would definitely say go ahead. I'm dreaming of having one myself, my wife would be ready anytime also.

thirdkind

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2005
Columbus
I need to sell some other gear first. I'm still debating whether I should get the 30" or two 24" Dells.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.