New Power Macs Imminent

JRM PowerPod

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2005
446
0
Outback Australia
Australian Apple Store is now displaying 3-5 days shipping after it has been 1-2 for yonks. This is a sure sign of updates next Tuesday.

Just what will these updates bring? Glory? or just more suffering and whinging by people who will never buy a Powermac?

We will see Tuesday, or Wednesday for us Aussies
 

Nermal

Moderator
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
18,752
1,218
New Zealand
Well I've already decided to get a Power Mac once they're updated, regardless of specs :)

Assuming, of course, that they're a reasonable price.
 

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
8,089
4
Sol III - Terra
Nermal said:
Well I've already decided to get a Power Mac once they're updated, regardless of specs :)

Assuming, of course, that they're a reasonable price.
I had been planning that myself, however, the question I have is if the next update doesn't have the dual core processors how far behind can they be?

Normally, updates 6 months after I've gottem a Mac don't bother me, but in this case, a dual core dual proc system being available for a reasonable price a few months later would be a bother.

So whether or not I'm buying with the next update to the PowerMacs depends on what is announced.
 

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
2,879
0
Bear said:
I had been planning that myself, however, the question I have is if the next update doesn't have the dual core processors how far behind can they be?

Normally, updates 6 months after I've gottem a Mac don't bother me, but in this case, a dual core dual proc system being available for a reasonable price a few months later would be a bother.

So whether or not I'm buying with the next update to the PowerMacs depends on what is announced.
Yeah....I hope they don't update them on Tuesday with SC and then at WWDC they give us DC :(

If dual core is comming in the near future please give it now and not a couple of months later, the 3rd update ;)
 

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
8,089
4
Sol III - Terra
Platform said:
Yeah....I hope they don't update them on Tuesday with SC and then at WWDC they give us DC :(

If dual core is comming in the near future please give it now and not a couple of months later, the 3rd update ;)
Yes, exactly my point. And I would have to image IBM would be helping Apple as much as possible so AMD and Intel do not get too big a lead on dual core systems.
 

840quadra

Moderator
Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
8,169
3,435
Twin Cities Minnesota
Bear said:
Yes, exactly my point. And I would have to image IBM would be helping Apple as much as possible so AMD and Intel do not get too big a lead on dual core systems.
I think the recent IBM technical leak is a good indication that change is close. If they have documents ready to be handed off to developers in regards to software controls for Temperature sensors and such, they have to be somewhat close, if not already in production.
 

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
8,089
4
Sol III - Terra
US Store now shows 3-5 days for all PowerMacs

The US Store shows an estimated ship time of 3-5 days for most PowerMacs and a CTO time of 5-7 days. The single 1.8 shows same business day for the standard configuration and 2-4 for the CTO. (All other Macs (iBook, PowerBook, iMac, eMac, Mini) seem to remain at estimate same business day ship or 1-2 day estimate for the standard configurations.)

Does this mean they're selling more than they can make? Does it mean a production line issue? Or does it mean new models imminent? Your guess is as good as any, I guess we'll know early next week what it means. (Or maybe the week after.)
 

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
2,075
0
Muncie, Indiana
The dual-core chips are going to be very expensive. Apple may add a dual-dual-core machine at the top of the line at a $3000+ price, and leave the rest of the line mostly unchanged for a while (just speed bumps and price drops).

As for the IBM leaks, we had better information than that on the 970 more than 6 months before the Apple G5 machines first came out, so that doesn't mean a lot. The dual-dual may not come out until WWDC or later.
 

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
8,089
4
Sol III - Terra
cubist said:
The dual-core chips are going to be very expensive. Apple may add a dual-dual-core machine at the top of the line at a $3000+ price, and leave the rest of the line mostly unchanged for a while (just speed bumps and price drops).
But what is more expensive buying a dual proc now and another machine in two years? Or buying the dual dual at the high price? Well I guess that depends on exactly how much the machines are after the next update. Only time (and what a customer can afford mow) will tell.

As for the IBM leaks, we had better information than that on the 970 more than 6 months before the Apple G5 machines first came out, so that doesn't mean a lot. The dual-dual may not come out until WWDC or later.
Actually, IBM was giving samples of the 970MP (Apple got some for sure) out last August, so that was 10 months ago. Yeah, the leadtime is no great indicator, however, Apple did have enough time to design and test a system so all we're really waiting for is for regular production of the 970MP chips to start (if it hasn't already).
 

Fredstar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2004
595
0
Near London
What is interesting is that on all the stores the single 1.8 is still shipping within 24 hours/same business day.
Despite my comments in other threads, recent rumours and now the shipping dates pretty much confirm in my mind that we will not be getting dual-core's, the update will probably be very minor as TS predicted. So a cheaper single 1.8, and then dual 2/2.5/2.7 at about the same prices and a upgraded standard gfx card.
 

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2002
1,353
93
Fredstar said:
What is interesting is that on all the stores the single 1.8 is still shipping within 24 hours/same business day.
Despite my comments in other threads, recent rumours and now the shipping dates pretty much confirm in my mind that we will not be getting dual-core's, the update will probably be very minor as TS predicted. So a cheaper single 1.8, and then dual 2/2.5/2.7 at about the same prices and a upgraded standard gfx card.
Well, as disappointing as that is, I do not have a need for a dual-core machine. Don't get me wrong. I'd buy a dual-core machine just to have, but I don't actually need one.
So for me, after using a 1GHz Powerbook 12" as my only computer for close to 2 years, a 2.7GHz G5 will be a massive increase in everything.

If that means I have to wait for a low-power, dual-core Gx chip for a future powerbook, so be it. :D
 

Fredstar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2004
595
0
Near London
deputy_doofy said:
Well, as disappointing as that is, I do not have a need for a dual-core machine. Don't get me wrong. I'd buy a dual-core machine just to have, but I don't actually need one.
So for me, after using a 1GHz Powerbook 12" as my only computer for close to 2 years, a 2.7GHz G5 will be a massive increase in everything.

If that means I have to wait for a low-power, dual-core Gx chip for a future powerbook, so be it. :D
I am not upset/annoyed at all really tbh, i have my iMac that i love and does everything i need and the family have a Mini that does everything they need and more, it is just brilliant. Ok i would like to have a dual dual-core G5 for the hell of it....but i would never need that kind of power.
I was just pointing out that Apple are losing their competitive edge that they had on the G5, with AMD and Intel bringing out their dual-cores.
 

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2002
1,353
93
Fredstar said:
I am not upset/annoyed at all really tbh, i have my iMac that i love and does everything i need and the family have a Mini that does everything they need and more, it is just brilliant. Ok i would like to have a dual dual-core G5 for the hell of it....but i would never need that kind of power.
I was just pointing out that Apple are losing their competitive edge that they had on the G5, with AMD and Intel bringing out their dual-cores.
I don't disagree with you. However, Apple has been in this position for at least the last 5 years. The G4 could sometimes beat the P4 if it was a dual-processor G4 and it used Alti-Vec a lot (some PS filters, I believe).
The G5, however, is definitely in a better position to raise eyebrows. The bus speed, so far, continually increases with the speed of the chip (this may change slightly, depending on heat output of future specs).
I think the dual-core G5's (or Gx's) will be out soon enough so that Intel and AMD don't get too much of a lead.
I also believe IBM is working on the problem, regardless of how long it's taking them, whereas FreeScale is still touting chips on their webpage that have yet to emerge. Dual-core G4's would even be nice, but I doubt FreeScale has gotten up off their @$$ do actually start making them. Sorry, I have lost faith in anything Motorala/FreeScale has said. I no longer buy ANY of their products.
 

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
8,089
4
Sol III - Terra
Rocksaurus said:
I thought I just read on MR that supply was above demand for these things? Shouldn't that mean there are plenty?
Then why did the shipping (for standard configurations) go from same day to a 3-5 day lead time?
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.