Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lighthouse_man

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 13, 2005
Interestingly enough my first post after years of lurking involves a problem with my one week old powerbook (15" 1.67), and my first mac after 11 years of working with pcs.

The problem I'm facing regards I think the hard drive. It started a few days after I got the computer. Someone referred to it in a previous thread but no one really gave an answer.

My specific problem however is that the computer makes a strange sound constantly. Whether it's on a flat service or not. I think it's the hard drive. It's a constant granular ticking sound every 10 seconds or so. It started happening after I moved a lot of files unto it. I deleted my itunes library to free space but the sound is still here.

Are there any defragmentation utilities, etc.? Is this happening with someone else? Thanks.

lfielder06

Dec 5, 2004
If it is a clicking it is most likely the hard drive. I do not know too much about these things, but I do know that as far as defragmenting goes, OS X has a defragmenter built in to it and everytime you install something it defrags the hard drive automatically. You might want to take it to an apple store and see what they say. It can't hurt. Hopefully someone with a similiar powerbook can assist you with the problem.

alexprice

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2005
Create a new user, login out of your user, login to the one you've created, does it stil do it?

alexprice

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2005
virividox said:
what kind of clicking is it; it could be the hard drive. call up apple ask for a replcement

I would suggest trying a new users first, archive & install second, if its software, apple repair centres usually will charge you as software is not covered by apple's warranty. Call them after you try this, remember you are entitled to 90 days free phone support from apple.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
I had a 12" Rev. C that did this from time to time but it was a really soft clicking sound. It was so soft I could not hear it unless the room was silent but it did fit the description of your problem. I never did anything about it and the computer was sold to someone I know at my University. They have not had any issues yet and the computer is almost a year old at this point. If the clicking is loud tho, I would have it checked out by apple if it is not software.

lighthouse_man

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 13, 2005
I created another account and the problem persists. I have to add that the frequency of its occurrence varied and sometimes the noise while still noticable was subtle.

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2004
New York
lighthouse_man said:
Interestingly enough my first post after years of lurking involves a problem with my one week old powerbook (15" 1.67), and my first mac after 11 years of working with pcs.

The problem I'm facing regards I think the hard drive. It started a few days after I got the computer. Someone referred to it in a previous thread but no one really gave an answer.

My specific problem however is that the computer makes a strange sound constantly. Whether it's on a flat service or not. I think it's the hard drive. It's a constant granular ticking sound every 10 seconds or so. It started happening after I moved a lot of files unto it. I deleted my itunes library to free space but the sound is still here.

Are there any defragmentation utilities, etc.? Is this happening with someone else? Thanks.

I have the same problem with mine. I thought it was the hard drive too, so i got it changed... didn't fix the problem. I'm still getting ticking noises. I honestly don't know what it is. But if i close the lid and put it to sleep, you here a funky noise, can't describe it, then when i open the lid again theres no more clicking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.