Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sam case

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2002
new ti powerbook?

Has anyone noticed that there have been a large amount of new ti g4 powerbooks for sale on ubid.com recently??

does this mean we are in for something new at MWTOKYO or MYNYC? I am wondering if anyone has any inside info, or has noticed this current
sale of on ubid.com????

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
i dont think thats a telling sign. that usually happens when they have been out for some time now. consider the tiboks on sale. they arent selling much on the rev be ones with the combo drive. i believe the next thing will be an apple ipodish/pda device.

moby1

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2002
Sunny San Diego
CAUTION: Auction Sites

I just want to remind everyone to use caution when making a large purchase via an auction site. The G4 PowerBooks and G4 systems are particularly attractive to scam artists because it's a large, single transaction.

I have both bought and sold PowerBooks on eBay and I've had no problems so far but...
Several sellers were recently suspended from eBay for listing G4 PowerBooks and taking people's money without delivering a product.
I almost bid on one of these auctions and tracked the bogus seller as he changed user ID's and continued to list items.
I contacted eBay several times and they ended many auctions. The volume of new listing on eBay makes it very difficult to police on a day-day basis.
I recently saw some high end G4 systems listed at very attractive buys only to be pulled by eBay after multiple feedbacks citing non-delivery.

I'll be listing my 550 on eBay next month and I still use eBay on a weekly basis but here are some tips:

1.) Use a credit card! This gives you a recourse to contact your credit card company if you do not receive the item.
2.) Buy only from sellers with substantial feedback and no negative comments about non-delivery.
3.) Contact the seller and ask for additional verification, i.e. phone number, etc.
4.) Never ever send money order or cashier's check without the use of an escrow service.
5.) Look for a photo of the actual item for sale. Anyone can grab a graphic from Apple's site. Make sure they're not using someone else's graphic.
6.) If it sounds too good to be true...There are some excellent deals on eBay but valid sellers usually know the current price points well.

Be carefull out there...

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
i hear ya moby...one of them bogus sellers was under the name....wegonnamakeit......or soemthing like that.

i got a question for you moby1...

if you are the winner of an auction on ebay...but you never check out...and instead send the seller the money...either through mo or check...by contacting them through emial....well ebay still charge you? does ebay charge to buyer for using ebay in buying an item?

Xapplimatic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2001
California
Umm. I don't know.. coddling computers just sounds entirely too kinky to me.. even if it is a TiBook!

My vote is for anodized aluminum or stainless steel.. Weight (or the lack of it) is not an issue for me unless they chose Tungston or something like that!

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
here's the ticket

How about a DU (Depleted Uranium) PowerBook or iBook. They could market it as the only laptop to stop bullets and keep on running. So what if you need to wear a lead apron when you use it... :D

Imagine hitting some terrorist on the head with that puppy if he attempted to take over a plane... that could make a real mess :D

All joking (and unrealistic notions) aside, I would like to see either stainless or maybe a chrome finish for a PowerBook at some point in the future.

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
I know I'm not a Mac person and all, but has anyone considered that the next mac's will have firewire 2 as the big "upgrade?"

By the way Alphatech - good posts as always, nice avatar, and I have an 84 lowrider that I just finished customizing (2 years in the shop).

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
mcrain, good to see another rider here... I am counting down the days to when I can pick mine up (March 23rd). All I know, is it better not be raining, or snowing, that day. Winter can have the next three weeks, after that it better be nice enough to ride... I need to get in 1000 miles between when I pick up the bike and Memorial day. That way I can get the first service in before bike week. :D

I am having about $1500 in options installed before it leaves the dealership... wide rear tire kit (150), screaming eagle air filter kit, Vance and Hines Big Shots pipes, jet the carbs for both of those mod's, getting saddlebag brackets installed too. Don't think I will go with HD bags, they want sick money for them.

I will only be paying on it for the next 84 months :D. Who else would give that length of term for a vehicle (car or motorcycle)??? Gotta love Harleys. I have people telling me that I won't regret it, and I agree... Just like when I have bought Mac's in the past.

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
Ok, I know this isn't the HD forum, but I can't resist.

My bike was in the shop so long the sticker on the license plate still said '98. I replaced that sticker when I picked up the bike with a '01 sticker, that was replaced with teh '02 sticker 3 months later! Long long time for my baby to be in the shop.

Originally posted by AlphaTech
I am having about $1500 in options installed before it leaves the dealership... wide rear tire kit (150), screaming eagle air filter kit, Vance and Hines Big Shots pipes, jet the carbs for both of those mod's, getting saddlebag brackets installed too. Don't think I will go with HD bags, they want sick money for them.

$1500 is a lot, but believe me, you could have done far far worse. I did. I bought my bike 3 1/2 years ago, and have sunk almost what I paid for it into customizing it! (All new sheetmetal, custom paint, powdercoating everything including engine, new chrome on almost everything, new tires, new handlebars, custom adjustable pegs... the list goes on and on.)

The really funny thing about it is that I didn't bat an eyelid when I dropped that much money on the bike, but am debating an apple purchase like it was my lifesavings. That's what happens when you've used PC's for as long as I have... reality gets distorted.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
I know what you mean about customizing... I am just getting started. I figure that I have about 10-15 years to work on it. After that, I will want something new. Then again, I will probably be looking once I have this one paid off and trade to something new (depends on what is out at the time).

I never really batted an eye at buying, or upgrading my Mac systems. The only thing I am holding off on is swapping the 20GB drive out of my TiBook for one of the new IBM 60GB drives.... My 20GB is over 50% full already and I haven't even installed all the software that I need to. I am waiting until I have the Harley before I get the drive. That way, I can get the chrome I want before the drive. :D....

I am a confirmed chromaholic and love it!!:D:D

Spart

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2002
Iowa
Coatings

I agree...the industrial coatings are sweet...at least the ones on my drill bits take quite a bit to wear off...on a portable comp they would probably be pretty indestructable. I have a TiBook and the bottom corners and edges are starting to get pretty scratched and showing the titanium underneath the paint.

iMax

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2002
SF Bay Area
why not coat it in gold and call it the pimpbook? :p

But it all seriosuness, i think I heard mention of a cooper colored one... that would be awesome. or chrome. yeah, chrome or a really shiny glossy black would rock.

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
I think it's far more likely that they would make it white rather than black. Especially if there's any heat issues. Leave a black one in the sun for a minute, and in addition to the normal heat, it becomes too hot to touch as well. The PBG3 got aroud this by running cool, at least compared to the PBG4.

Onyxx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 5, 2001
a hot and cold subject

the current tibooks run hot, but if apple was to put the new apollo chips in the new tibooks they would be a heck of a lot cooler.

As to color and coating preferences, I can't see the apeal of glossy colors. I am much more interested in seeing matte anodized or matte powdercoated tibooks. And no colors. Colors would definately take away from the tibook's image. To tell you the truth, i can't see any reason to change its color. Many companies *try* for the titanium look, if apple already has that why change it?

I agree that a coating would make the case much more durable (some of the industrial coatings for metal out on the market are amazing. someone mentioned drill bits before. Thats some sort of titanium oxide coating. hmmmm) but IMOHO i prefer the natural metal. Now brush that metal or polish it (for all of you chrome feinds out there) and we may have something. maybe.

as long as it has an apollo, a higher res or higher response time screen (no ghosting for video) , and two firewire [or firewire2) ports running full bandwidth, I'll be happy.

Onyxx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 5, 2001
quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by krossfyter
we wont see a dell look a like comming from apple EVER! .

dig it! [/B]
------------------------------------------------------------------------

but we will se an apple clone from dell, and soon!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.