New Powerbook Updates?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by lorenzo, Apr 25, 2005.

  1. lorenzo macrumors member

    Apr 5, 2005
    I am waiting until May to get myself a 12inch powerbook...
    but man, all i keep hearing about is updates in the iBook and every other apple machine it seems except my precious powerbook!!

    Is it really crazy for me to hope/expect apple to even update the powerbook? They are brining the iBooks closer to the powerbook and that seriously bugs me to no extent. I hear of maybe making the powerbooks widescreen?

    I will be extremely bummed if the powerbooks are not updated very very very soon. Fingers crossed for tuesday!

    Any opinions or information?
  2. eva01 macrumors 601


    Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth
    I doubt the powerbooks will be updated before WWDC at the earliest so i would say get your powerbook now. but thats just my opinion
  3. macbaseball macrumors 6502a


    Feb 27, 2005
    Northern California
    I doubt they would update anything but the 17 inch, so your probably OK to buy one.
  4. lorenzo thread starter macrumors member

    Apr 5, 2005

  5. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

    Apr 19, 2005
    World Wide Developers Conference.

    They announced the G5 PowerMac there, so it's possible they could announce a dual-core PowerBook there. It's I believe the last week of June. has moreinfo about the event. I wouldn't expect G5 PowerBooks, not until at least january next year at MWSF (Mac World San Fransisco)
  6. Pismo macrumors 6502


    Apr 30, 2002
    I don't think the PowerBooks will be updated again. Even the 17". Apple just updated the whole line and I don't really think Apple will just update the 17" to add an HD screen to it. This would piss a lot of people off who just bought the 17 two months ago. My brother in law's brother bought a fully loaded 17" in March and he does a lot of heavy video editing and DVD authoring. He would be pissed if Apple updates the 17". He's the kind of guy that has to have the fastest and best machine money can buy. He'd like to have an HD display for his video and will probably go on the war path if Apple updates again.

    If you want to buy a PowerBook, you might as well do it now because I don't think Apple will update again for another 9-10 months. I had to upgrade to do my job. My 400 MHz Pismo PowerBook couldn't cut it.
  7. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

    Mar 30, 2004
    Yeah, PowerBook updates at this point are completely off the radar... just speculation...
  8. EGT macrumors 68000


    Sep 4, 2003
    To be honest, i couldn't care less about major powerbook updates. I don't think, realistically, the powerbook will go to G5 anytime soon.

    Dual core would be nice but will most people buy a powerbook with a dual core processor? ( i know i would )
    It seems a lot of people are waiting for a G5 but I just don't think its going to happen for a while ....

    Get your powerbook now. It should be easy enough to sell if/when updates are announced during the summer.
  9. 1macker1 macrumors 65816


    Oct 9, 2003
    A Higher Level
    When do you need it. I'm wanting a PB, but don't really need it until Sept. So i'm gonna wait. I'm sure they will be updated by then.
  10. Ashapalan macrumors 6502a

    Apr 17, 2005
    I was in the same dilema, i have just got a new powerbook.

    They arent going to be updated soon, get one now.

    It would be completly against average update times, and if G5 powerbooks were around the corner, i dont think apple could have hidden the news from us.
  11. metsfan489 macrumors member

    Jan 31, 2005
    If you want your pb now then I suggest go for it.

    Warning, the following is just my opinion: However if you don't need it right away, I would suggest waiting. I think that the powerbook is going to be updated at either WWDC or the Paris Mac Expo. Currently the iBook is very close in terms of speed to the powerbook, and the professional line should be much more advanced not just a speed and bus upgrade upgrade from the ibook. Also with Apple releasing hardware upgrades to almost all their lines (eMac, PowerMac, iMac, and the iBook is due for an upgrade) they will have nothing hardware related to annouce at either of these events and I think a powerbook upgrade would be the best for "shock" value.

Share This Page