new powerbook

madtodaimax

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2004
73
0
if there is a possibility of a new pb update at the paris expo, should i wait until then? i was thinking of getting a super 12" before school started using the back to school promotions.
 

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
1,821
0
There is a strong possiblity of a powerbook update at the Paris expo, i'd say it is definatly worth waiting until then before shelling out for a super 12",

ShadoW
 

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
2,126
1
Indiana
I would think the 12" powerbook would get a graphics update... at least I sure hope so... if it did I would be tempted again haha :p
 

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
16,568
0
If you can wait until September 20th, then it may be well worth the wait. Just keep in mind that the new PowerBook may or may not be available immediately. Also there could be delays. The update isn't actually expected to be all the much. So it really depends on if you want it before school starts. You would really enjoy the current model.
 

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
1,756
2
nobody knows what September will actually bring, but will you be upset if it is just a very minor speed bump on the power books? Because that is what is rumored.

It's a hard call to make but if you do buy now, you will have a great computer that should last you for a few years at the least.
 

AstrosFan

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2005
334
0
njmac said:
nobody knows what September will actually bring, but will you be upset if it is just a very minor speed bump on the power books? Because that is what is rumored.

It's a hard call to make but if you do buy now, you will have a great computer that should last you for a few years at the least.
I second this post - it really depends on your needs. "Worst-case" you end up with a great computer that you will get a couple of months of use out of before new updates are available to you.
However, if waiting till September doesn't make a difference to you, waiting isn't bad - it just means you're without a sweet machine for an extra couple of months!
As pointed out above, the updates are unlikely to be substantial. Also, the typical front-delay would mean that it wouldn't be until early October (probably) that you would receive your machine.

My vote is to go ahead and get what you need - don't forget the third-party RAM!
 

madtodaimax

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2004
73
0
if the keynote is on the 20th and new pb's are announced, what is the fastest i would have one in my hand?
 

NtotheIzoo

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2005
191
0
I've had my 12" powerbook for about 2 weeks now...its an amazing machine...the update is going to be minor IMO...a minor speed increase, maybe better graphics card (this is a big maybe though), they'll upgrade the non-removable ram slot to 512...other than that its up in the air...and who knows it could be a great update...

I figured it wasnt worth the wait, and I needed a lappy now...
 

godbout

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2005
182
0
Montreal, Canada
Personally, I think that if they went to the G4 7448 (with a 200MHz fsb) and a better video card some people MIGHT feel it is worth the two months (if you don't need a comp right now, this may be an option) but you would be lucky to get it before october and really that is a pretty small update so it is your call... will the PBs be all that much better... my eight ball says "probably not"... but if you are one of those guys that needs the latest and greatest and will feel bad about the inevitable upgrade...

by the way these things are aways upgraded and this is just a speed bump... you are not going to miss out on getting a G5 PB this time around :D
 

blueandyellow

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2005
5
0
i second Ntotheizzo. i have had my 12" pb w/superdrive for a week and i love it. i was waiting for the updates (for a while), but honestly i don't think you would see anything revolutionary. and if you qualify you can get the free ipod mini before sept 24. i say get it now if you need it.
 

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
1,551
22
i bought my gf a 12" super 3 weeks ago and i do not regret it one bit. excellent machine!@$
 

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
1,956
4
I am hoping for 128MB graphics cards in Pbs, with 256 option for 15 and 17" models.
Maybe up to a 120GB HDD???
Faster burning?
Well worth the wait.
I think if they bring these out, the pbs might be last to go to intel.
 

thairs

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2005
49
4
RE:

I'm in the same boat as well, and if you can wait, I would say do it. If not, you definitely can't go wrong with the currently lineup of powerbooks. I'm probably going to wait to see what kind of updates come up, especially to the 12", I'm not to keen on the fact that the ibook line can handle more ram than the 12", and has a "faster" video card.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.