New powerbooks estimated release?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by philipcolett, May 1, 2005.

  1. philipcolett macrumors member

    May 1, 2005
    I am looking for new Mac, and I just got my Mac mini a few months ago. I am looking for a new laptop, and I really like the powerbooks. I know none of the are for sure, but is there a guess about when they will come about? Any rumors?

    Also, should I wait to get the next edition of the powerbooks's or just get one now.
  2. witness macrumors 6502

    Apr 7, 2005
    I have been waiting for a next generation PowerBook for over a year now. Apple is so secretive that you can't really plan future purchases. It could be release this summer (WWDC), autumn (Paris), some time next year or even the year after. No one really knows, and even when they do announce a new PowerBook they will probably not ship right away.

    Macs (especially PowerBooks) do tend to have better resale values than PC's so you could always buy now and sell later when a new one comes along.
  3. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

    Chip NoVaMac

    Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Well according to the Buyers Guide, the PB's are mid-life - so maybe 3 to 4 months before the next revisions. Though it was like 9 months between the last revisions, so it is anyones guess really.
  4. Flyinace2000 macrumors 6502a


    Sep 28, 2004

    If something new comes out this summer i will sell my 1.67PB and get a new one.....But i will wait a month to make sure they don't iSuck.
  5. runninmac macrumors 65816


    Jan 20, 2005
    Rockford MI
    My best guess is next year at MWSF (january) eventhough it's more geared towards consumers they need to get on with the next gen of Powerbooks. Also the freescale chips will be ready or the G5 chips thermal challenges should be out of the way. I would be very surprised if it was this WWDC. Also the MW Paris has a slight chance becuase of the Freescale chips should be out the 2nd half of 05.
  6. iJaz macrumors 6502a


    Dec 16, 2004
  7. aswitcher macrumors 603


    Oct 8, 2003
    Canberra OZ
    My guess is Apple would love to have them out at WWDC next month but its unlikely.

    Because its a new design timeframes go out the window. It will be out when Apple have stock enough to sell. Paris expo is the next big song and dance. But I dont see Apple hanging onto them if they are ready more than a month because the new ibooks should be out and PBs sales will wilt even further...
  8. TreeHugger macrumors 6502

    Jun 30, 2004
    If you mean the G5 Powerbooks, I think it will still be a while. Even though they currently are mid product cycle it seems to me as if they were just updated yesterday... but thats just me... G5 Powerbook would be nice but I don't think it will be at WWDC.
  9. joecool85 macrumors 65816


    Mar 9, 2005
    I don't know about G5 PBs at WWDC, but as far as I'm concerned there will be some sort of PB update at WWDC...or next tuesday, but more than likely at WWDC. I think if we get a tuesday update this tuesday it will be the mac minis or the iBook...not PB.
  10. Koodauw macrumors 68040


    Nov 17, 2003
    I doubt there will be any new updates in a while. What are they going to put in there? I plan on buying one in the next month. The $100 rebate is a good deal.
  11. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

    Mar 30, 2004
    3-4 months is very optimistic. I would say 6-9 months. Also, if it's a new design, I would expect much higher prices -- the current PowerBooks are at a historic "low" price point.
  12. zach macrumors 65816


    Feb 14, 2003
    Yeah.. I don't think we'll be seeing new PBooks for quite some time.

    I just got a 15" 1.67 GHz, and I don't regret it one bit.. Nor would I if G5 powerbooks came out tuesday, this is a heck of a machine.
  13. iBunny macrumors 65816

    Apr 15, 2004
    I think that the G5 will be put into the powerbook next. Speed bumps can only happen so much.... the G4 is long in the tooth. I dont think they will put a Dual Core G4 into a Powerbook because a Dual Core G4 1.5Ghz Per core, would be faster than a Single Powermac G5 1.8Ghz. So I really dont see that happening.

    I think that When Dual Core G5s are introduced for the Powermac's, the Powerbooks will get the sinle core G5's. Im sure they can cool them fine now in a laptop. Espically at laptop speeds. Its not like we will see a 2.7Ghz G5 in a powerbook. But more like a 1.6Ghz G5, running at a lower voltage first. I say they will come in the Fall.
  14. BKKloppenborg macrumors regular

    May 2, 2005
    La Mesa, Ca
    same here i hope they do update ibooks by June 25 though but really don't think so...
  15. cube macrumors G5

    May 10, 2004
    7448 samples are supossedly going out already.
  16. kbonnel macrumors 6502

    Mar 1, 2004
    In a nice place..
    I see the logic here, but I personally don't think this is the reason. The powerbook and powermac are completely different computers directed at two different types of users. (mobile and non-mobile). I think the only reason why the powermac gets the newer tech is because it is "easier" to make it work in a huge case compared to a 1" thick case. I see no problem with a DC 1.5Ghz powerbook being faster than a 1.8G5. Remember, the price points would probably be ~$2500 vs $1500. For the extra cost I see no reason why it can't/shouldn't be faster.

  17. Cold_Steel macrumors member

    May 4, 2005
    Glouscestershire, UK

    My bet is the dual core G4s, because even tho they might be faster than a Single PowerMac G5 1.8Ghz, they are more ideally suited to a laptop enviroment; low-wattage and low heat.

    Just my half a copper.

    (Mind you with Apple it always a guessing mans game).
  18. cube macrumors G5

    May 10, 2004
    Next is going to be 7448.
  19. Cold_Steel macrumors member

    May 4, 2005
    Glouscestershire, UK
    7448 = single core?

    but with 200mhz bus and Alitvec acceleration.

    and 1mb L2.
  20. wide macrumors 6502a

    May 17, 2004
    they will be released at the paris expo or before that. apple will want to release them in time for the new school-year
  21. Piarco macrumors 68030


    Jun 24, 2004
    I've only just upgraded again from a 12" Rev D to the 1.67ghz 15", but all the speculation about possible new models at WWDC has made me semi-doubt my purchase.
    The logic behind many of the argument for major changes/next gen models at WWDC is pretty damn good: iBooks are aged to say the least and are begging for a significant upgrade, as is their form factor. But at the same time you can't have a Powerbook which is running at the same spec as the consumer line models, so this would necesitate and upgrade to the PB line as well. Plus as the Powermac, iMac and eMac have been updates, its only the Xserve and the iBook/PB lines to do....

    The single core G4 chip in is current incarnation seems to be at the end of it lifespan. G5's ain't gonna happen anytime soon, so we're left with two options... Another type of G4 chip running at between 1.8-2.0ghz with an increase FSB of 200mhz. Or the dual core G4. (sorry can't remember the chip models!)

    I'm going to do what I've always done (well since November anyway) and put my PB up for auction, ending on the evening of the 6th. If there are new models released, great I'll have got maximum cash for the existing model, and will order as soon as the Apple Store is up and running. If its a minor speedbump again, I'll end the auction and remain happy with my purchase.

    A speedbump or a dual layer DVD will not be enough to have me reaching for my wallet. A higher FSB or dual core most definately will!

    C'mon Steve, show us what you've got!

    Still, the rumours of possible new laptops seem to be few on the ground, considering the amount of for-knowledge we had on the Powermacs, iMacs and eMac updates....
  22. cube macrumors G5

    May 10, 2004
    Forget about dual-core before the end of the year.
  23. gamestriker macrumors regular

    Dec 18, 2004
    After everything I've seen, I'm pretty certain that dual-core G4 won't be around until next year, and G5s will be end of 2005 is a good estimate. I don't think they will have a PowerBook G5 WWDC, a speed bump is more likely.

    I doubt the speed bump will be anything worth selling your new PowerBook over. With all the hipe about it being an "HD year" and such, a very good possibility at WWDC would be a new PowerBook 17" with a possible speed bump to 1.8-2.0 GHz, the dual-layer DVD, and possibly a graphics card upgrade (128MB 9800 Radeon?) in order to support the higher resolutions that some people have rumored about for the 17". Maybe even Final Cut Pro preinstalled. I don't think there will be an update to whole line because the 12" would not be good for doing HD, and even though the 15" could support such a speed bump, the WWDC is targeted more that the high-end pro developers who are more likely to afford and buy a 17".

    Plus, most people, developers or not, don't usually buy the 17" as much as the other two (because the 17" is kind of big and expensive), so anything Apple can do to make the 17" a more attractive buy would help.

    As far as PowerBook G5 is concerned, I'm willing to bet it will come out next year mostly likely, with the 970MP in it. With the heating issue, they might have the first PowerBook G5 be a 17" only, and then follow up with the 15" and 12" G5s, and all this will probably be at MWSF 2005.

    As far as a Tuesday update is concerned, it will likely be an iBook update, though only a speed bump. For a form factor change, I'd say MWSF January 2005; iBook is one of their biggest sellers, other than the iPods, and for a major change, they usually would want to make an annoucement with a lot of hoopla behind it. If I had to say the earliest possible for a major iBook update, I'd say November, in order to catch the holiday crowd.

    As for a Mac mini update, there is a good chance it will be at MW Paris in July, possibly with a graphics update in order to fully support Tiger.
  24. maxvamp macrumors 6502a


    Sep 26, 2002
    Somewhere out there
    I would be careful to assume that the mobile G5 that ends up in a Powerbook is the IBM 970. Freescale has said that they intend to introduce a e700 line that will also be 64-bit. I can see a scenario where the desktop G5 is a 970 and a PowerBook G5 is a FreeScale e700.

    I believe one of the factors that would make this a truism is the fact that Freescale continues to focus on embedded processors at ~15w while IBM likes to focus on server chips. This is how we are in the mess we are in..

    Waiting on MOTO...

  25. macorama macrumors regular

    Apr 14, 2005
    22nd July

Share This Page