New PowerBooks- When

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 20, 2004
1,304
2
Heres a topic that might cause some debating....

Just a quick question, when do you think the new powerbooks will come out? Is there an event being held in the near future where they could be released? What do you think there specs will be?


Thanks
 

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
14,874
57
It's doubtful that they'll be released at MWSF if it's a speed bump, since Tiger will probably be the center stage product release announcement.

Tiger has been previewed but not "announced" as a product.

Then there is the flash iPod...

Remember Steve wanted to get away from computer announcements at the events, so the dates shift around the events -- unless it's big like the PowerMac G5/iMac.

But we knew the iMac G5 was coming beforehand, just like we knew Tiger is coming... ;)
 

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
4,226
21
Back in the motherland
I guess after all what has been said and the amount of time that has passed since the last update it is pretty safe to say that there will be either upgrades at MWSF or shortly after.
 

oingoboingo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
988
0
Sydney, Australia
EJBasile said:
Heres a topic that might cause some debating....

Just a quick question, when do you think the new powerbooks will come out?
Why, a week after you give up waiting and buy the current model, of course!

Go on...place an order for the current model...for the benefit of the rest of us! :)
 

OasisNYK

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2004
353
53
I am considering giving in and ordering a 1.5 15 inch PB - right now I am a PC user. However the main reason is it would be an xmas gift - if they come out with a new rev in January I would be pissed. It sounds like that is a good possibility too.

Its a tradeoff - wait and be happy, but have an empty xmas tree. Or give in and order it, switch to the mac platform and never look back - but in January watch the new PB and drool???
 

dieselg4

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2003
196
0
Rockin' Pittsburgh!
OasisNYK said:
I am considering giving in and ordering a 1.5 15 inch PB - right now I am a PC user. However the main reason is it would be an xmas gift - if they come out with a new rev in January I would be pissed. It sounds like that is a good possibility too.

Its a tradeoff - wait and be happy, but have an empty xmas tree. Or give in and order it, switch to the mac platform and never look back - but in January watch the new PB and drool???
Have a Russian Orthodox Christmas . . .
 

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
3,936
165
Madison
Does anyone else find it never racking that if you bought a PB now, there could be a PB G5 or Dual-Core G4 just around the corner? I would love to buy a new PB right now, but this is really holding me back.
 

ajkst1

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2003
43
0
It's a tough call. I bought mine in October with the <a href="http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/">Buyer's Guide</a> saying "Buy only if necessary." Apple said there will not be any updates until next year, and MWSF is next year. If you really want one buy it now. The Powerbook G5 is not coming out anytime soon and the only speed bump you would see is the 15" Combo going to 1.5 Ghz and the 15" SD and 17" going to 1.7 Ghz. The difference is so little that it's not really worth waiting for.

The Powerbook G5 is coming....be patient.
 

jebarne

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2004
13
1
Cary, NC
New PBs

are there rumors about changing the 12" Portable to a 16:9 screen like we see now in the Dell, Sony, and other PC based notebooks?
 

LEgregius

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2003
81
10
Virginia
jebarne said:
are there rumors about changing the 12" Portable to a 16:9 screen like we see now in the Dell, Sony, and other PC based notebooks?
Not that I've seen. I would guess that would be unlikely. The verticle resolution would be very low in that case. It may not be very useful. On the other hand, a wider notebook would fit on the lap better.
 

LEgregius

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2003
81
10
Virginia
dieselg4 said:
Have a Russian Orthodox Christmas . . .
January 7 for those who don't know. Even if new powerbooks come out in the keynote, it will be unlikely one could get one by the 7th.
 

TDM21

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
789
0
Koodauw said:
Does anyone else find it never racking that if you bought a PB now, there could be a PB G5 or Dual-Core G4 just around the corner? I would love to buy a new PB right now, but this is really holding me back.
This is exactly how I felt in June when I ordered my 12" PB. I waited until after WWDC's first day to order. Then I got worried about the Paris Expo on rather or not a new revision would be released. If there was a release, I was hoping for the Dual-Core G4. Almost 6 months later I am relieved that my 12" is still the latest version. I will be sad when they release the next version. I'm a poor college student so this laptop has to last at least 3 more years. That, and i got the APP so I do not want to do anything to my laptop until the warranty runs out.
 

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
5,351
14
Canberra OZ
I'll be suprised if they dont bump the G4 a little, drop the price and maybe add soem features at MWSF because I am skeptical of a G5 appearing for some time...
 

ThomasHobbes

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2004
11
0
I'm the guy who started the whole 13" widescreen replacement for 12" PB so it's nice to see how many places are speculating on it now :)
As for actuality my guess would be if they move to a G5 or dual-core G4's then you'd see an enclosure update.

As for updates...
Sonnet is selling a true 1.7 Ghz 7447A G4 upgrade for towers and the cube, Giga Designs have a 1.73 Ghz as well but that's an overclocked 1.6 Ghz. If they can obtain a 1.6/7 Ghz then Apple can get that or better from freescale. Plus of course we don't know when the 7448 (1.5 Ghz+ (based on the 7447A new speeds I'd say 2 Ghz), 200 Mhz bus, 1 MB L2) actually goes into production besides some time in the first half.
 

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
10,091
21
UK
i'd say either g5 revisions or a 1.6GHz g4 12" and combo 15" with 1.8GHz high end 15" and 17", i think this as they should bump the fsb to 200MHz so should go up in full bus increments.

if they went g5 i'd say the same clock rate.
 

Eevee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2004
791
0
New Haven, CT
When coming out? Specs? Events? Maybe the right questions are :

When do we think the new PowerBooks will NOT come out? (Now till the beginning of 2005)

What event being held in the near future where they are NOT released?
(MWSF, maybe introduced, but probably not released)

What do we think there specs will NOT be? (Single G4, 1.5 GHz, 32 VRAM, 256 MB DDR SDRAM, OS X 10.3).

Sorry for being too negative, but just too many speculations leads to disappointments, though it's entertaining to speculate...

Just my two cents...
 

Rob587

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2004
799
1
Orlando, FL
I will be going to college in the fall of 2005. Do you guys think I will be able to buy a "new" powerbook by then. And by new I dont mean a speed bump. I mean like a dual G4 or a single G5.
 

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
14,874
57
Rob587 said:
I will be going to college in the fall of 2005. Do you guys think I will be able to buy a "new" powerbook by then. And by new I dont mean a speed bump. I mean like a dual G4 or a single G5.
My Magic 8-Ball is Wintel Powered, so it would probably be no help to you if I could get it to boot up again.

All I see is a solid blue window... :(
 

morkintosh

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2003
193
0
OasisNYK said:
I am considering giving in and ordering a 1.5 15 inch PB - right now
I got mine last month to replace my Rev A 12" powerbook; release in the near future or no release, I couldn't be happier with it.
 

morkintosh

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2003
193
0
TDM21 said:
I will be sad when they release the next version. I'm a poor college student so this laptop has to last at least 3 more years.
It never ceases to amaze me how people seem to think that a new product magically makes the one they currently have run slower. If your laptop will last you 3 years now, a new product release isn't going to change that.
 

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
2,627
0
Cloud 9 (-6)
Assuming a new version of the PBs comes out at MWSF:

Can you still order the previous version for a while with speedier ship dates than the newer version?

I am getting ready to switch to Mac and I can afford to wait until MWSF, however I NEED, actually REQUIRE this product before middle March. So, if the new one came out and it was only a speed bump or other update that I did not personally care for...can I still access the "old" version (hopefully for less $)?