New PowerBooks?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by billiam0878, Sep 12, 2004.

  1. billiam0878 macrumors 6502

    Mar 15, 2002
    Winter Park, FL
    Hi Guys,

    My girlfriend is looking to pick up a 12-inch PowerBook sometime in the next two weeks. According to the MacRumors Buyer's Guide the PowerBook is approaching the end of it's prodcut cycle (last updated April 19); do you think there will be an update anytime in the immediate future? Also, considering that Apple reps have already said we shouldn't expect a G5 in the PowerBook anytime soon, what do you guys expect the update might entail? Thanks,

  2. varmit macrumors 68000


    Aug 5, 2003
    They most likely be updated sometime soon, but that doesn't mean they will be shipping anytime soon. We're right in the middle to the end of the cycle for the PB. So it could be a Week or 3 months before we even know if there will be a newer PB coming. So I say order one, if they are coming out really soon, then her PB will get delayed and she will get the updated one. Apple is natorious for stopping the shipment of their products when they are about to release and update.

    If you got one now, I believe she will be happy with it for a long time.
  3. jamdr macrumors 6502a


    Jul 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    If you definitely need a new PowerBook within two weeks, you're going to have to get the current models. I don't think new ones will be announced for at least another 5-6 weeks and it could be longer. Obviously, they aren't going to be G5 PowerBooks, so you're not going to miss out on a lot. But if you can wait, I would.
  4. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

    Rod Rod

    Sep 21, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    if she buys a refurbished 12" PowerBook, she won't take as much of a price hit when the updated models appear in the next two to six months. the opportunity cost would be less.
  5. slipper macrumors 68000


    Nov 19, 2003
    if you absolutely need a notebook in 2 weeks, go ahead and buy an iBook for now. that way, you dont end up spending much money up front, and since the iBooks have recently been updated you can sell it on ebay for a decent amount when the new powerbooks get released.
  6. panda macrumors regular

    Mar 15, 2004
    now or wait?

    the pbook 12" is great!

    and yes, the pbook appears to be getting close to another improvement.

    indeed, if you look at the average times between upgrades, we are under 30days away. (mf buyers guide)

    closer inspection of the release dates, indicates that new powerbooks are released twice yearly, once in the spring, once in the fall.

    based on this, we should see some changes by november... within the next 2 months.

    i agree that there will not be a g5 pbook for some time, perhaps a year away or more, plus, the pbook 12" could be the last of the pbooks to get it.

    assuming a release in the next 2 months i'd expect to see the 12" go from 1.33 to 1.5, perhaps an 80gb hd as standard, maaaybee the backlit keyboard (maaaybeeee), maybe a better graphics card.

    all relatively small improvements.

    but... if i could wait the couple of months, i would suggest doing it.

    i am.

    hope this helps.

  7. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030


    Sep 18, 2003
    London, UK
    I expect iBooks and PowerBooks to be updated at the same time, like they were in April. My brother is waiting on a new iBook.

    However, the iBooks can't be updated until the PowerBooks are updated (as they would be too close in performance, etc). It could be sometime next month or November, but it may be MWSF in January. However, that's more liekly to be the case if the update is something big (like G5s).

    There is talk of these dual core Motorola G4s that can clock to 2 GHz appearing in the next updates but the 12" is unlikely to get that (probably the 1.5 GHz chips that are in the current 15/17" plus graphics card update). If this is the case, they will be comparable in speed to a G5 PowerBook (indeed, Apple may brand them "G5"), so this would be a significant update.

    Don't expect [proper] G5 PowerBooks soon, but then it may not be that far away. Just because Apple is saying they won't happen anytime soon, that is just to protect sales of the G4s. They'll be saying that right up to the day of release. And I would expect ALL models of PowerBook to go G5 at the same time, say to something like 1.6/1.8/2.0 GHz for 12, 15 and 17" models respectively. It would be mad for the 12" model to be closer to the iBook than the other iBooks and would cause customer confusion.

    Oh, and remember the MacRumors buyers' guide is just that - a guide. Look at the iMacs - they went a year without an update (granted, rare case) due to the switch to G5.

    This one is a hard one to call because they could be updated anytime between next week and Jan/Feb. But, since they have been out since April, you have already lost several months of value (i.e. you're paying the same price now for something you could have got 5 months ago) and a refurb may be a better way to go.
  8. BakedBeans macrumors 68040


    May 6, 2004
    What's Your Favorite Posish
    i cant see there being ANY updates of ANY kind untill january and then it will be a speed now and enjoy
  9. JFreak macrumors 68040


    Jul 11, 2003
    Tampere, Finland
    i agree. powerbooks have been updated every nine months, so the next revision should be announced in january. so anyone who needs a new powerbook before february(ish) should buy now.

    but one can never know...
  10. zelmo macrumors 603


    Jul 3, 2004
    Mac since 7.5
    Many people (including myself) believe that there won't be a major change to the PB line (G5 or dual core G4) for quite a while, at least a year. Unless your girlfriend is doing some pretty heavy computing, a minor speed bump is not going to make a huge difference to her. If you need a laptop now, buy it. It won't mysteriously begin running slower when the upgrades are released, it just won't be the newest and shiniest. Besides, the PB line keeps pretty good value, so you can always sell it on eBay if you want to move up later.
  11. simjh macrumors newbie

    Oct 13, 2003
    buy the 'book!

    I just took advantage of the cram and jam offer. Bought a new powerbook, a gig of ram for $139.00 and am selling the ipod for cost over here in Europe. The $200 rebate adds to the $100 education discount. If you know someone that wants an ipod....
  12. Coolvirus007 macrumors regular

    Apr 27, 2004
    Really? I only though that it happened to the new iMacs.

    Anyway, yeah, as everyone says, there's no chance you will be able to get the new revision (if there is one) because it take a few weeks for it all the stores to get in stock after it is announced.

    However, I got my powerbook a few days after it was announced becaused I ordered it 3 or 4 hours after it was announced on the online apple store in Japan. :D

    But don't expect a G5 (maybe dual core whatever that is).
  13. wPod macrumors 68000


    Aug 19, 2003
    Denver, CO
    i say go for it. the PBs that are out now are perfectly good. the next revision will probably be a minor speed bump if its sometime soon or something like the dual core if its in 3 or more months. im using a rev A 12" PB and it is fine in every sense even after a year. so i wouldnt worry too much about having the latest and greatest, its a mac, it will last!
  14. Finiksa macrumors 6502a


    Feb 23, 2003
    They only do it for a few weeks before an update to prevent returns and exchanges for the new model… Then they dump the old inventory on resellers.
  15. quagmire macrumors 603


    Apr 19, 2004
    Buy the pbook now. You won't be disappointed. I believe that little statement by apple saying no pbook G5's soon was to protect sales of the G4 pbooks. Please people the dual core G4 being shown in October is a protype. Freescale won't have it ready intill 8 months after the showing. They would have to debug it and get the chip ready to be shipped in quanity. I would suspect G5 pbooks at MWSF or WWDC 2005. The dual core G4 will not come intill WWDC if the G5 pbooks aren't ready.
  16. Coolvirus007 macrumors regular

    Apr 27, 2004
    ok. I see what you mean. thanks
  17. Badradio macrumors 6502

    Aug 19, 2004
    Almost on-topic...

    Has anyone else noticed the price increase in upgrading the vram on a 1.5 15.2" pb? It used to be, what - £40/45? but now it's £70. Interest is building in possible updates over the next couple of months - maybe with a Radeon 9800 in the mix - and Apple are increasing the price on the existing, out-going models. Is this a standard Apple practise? I know it's only £30-odd, but the value of the current models is already in question. :confused:

Share This Page