Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ThinkSecret reports that when the PowerMac G5 gets its replacement at the Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC), it will sport a new enclosure.

The new case is said to be "substantially different" to signify the transition to the Intel Core 2 Duo (Conroe). The internal configurations are said to be comparable to current PowerMacs:

Configurations of the new Mac are said to be similar to those of the most recent Power Mac G5, including a single dual-core processor in the low- and mid-range systems, and a dual dual-core (quad core) system at the top end.

ThinkSecret also expects that the MacBook Pro will also sport a new enclosure once it adopts the Core 2 Duo processor (Merom).

Apple recently trademarked Mac Pro which is expected to be the new name for the PowerMac line.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
Black anodized alloy enclosures. Come on Apple you know you want to :)

Hmm come to think of it imagine the complaints about scratches...

shigzeo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2005
Japan
not a first i guess

but as i logged in, i realized this will never be a first post for me. i am glad of new enclosures though i love the g5 powermac. as for macbook pro, i cannot wait. the new macbook itself is the reason i still believe in design magik and if macbook pro can be improved upon, i will cheer very loudly

azzurri000

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2005
In terms of the MacBook Pro, I'd like to see how they can improve upon perfection. I'm a little nervous as to how it will look... but I guess each successive PowerBook revision looked snazzier than the one before it.

MrPineapples

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2006
London, UK
I'll be glad if this is true, all the new intel mac's (apart from the macbook) have disapointed me by having almost the same enclosures as the models they replaced. My next mac was going to be a powermac but i've held out for an intel update i'm sure it'll be a beast.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Chundles said:
Can't do it, Conroe only supports one chip. If we want a Quad we need Woodcrest.

The Conroe "chip" is a dual-core

The new "logic board" will accept two chips..
Watch

Think outside the box Chundles!! Think outside the box..

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
michaeldmartin said:
Quad might mean dual dual core processors.

That's what we have at the moment, the PowerMac Quad is two 2.5GHz dual-core processors.

For four cores in a MacPro you need the SMP capabilities of the Woodcrest chip, Conroe can't support multi-chip configurations - it would be OK for iMacs and low range MacPros but for a Quad replacement you need Woodcrest.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Think reality...you cannot run dual Conroes !

Peace said:

Watch

Conroe cannot run in dual chip configurations.

A Woodcrest is basically the same chip as the Conroe, but does allow dual-chip motherboards.

azzurri000

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2005
MrPineapples said:
I'll be glad if this is true, all the new intel mac's (apart from the macbook) have disapointed me by having almost the same enclosures as the models they replaced. My next mac was going to be a powermac but i've held out for an intel update i'm sure it'll be a beast.

I know cars are in a completely different boat than computers, but I think Apple should stick to its beautiful designs and only make minor changes to the models' formfactors like Porsche would do. If you've got a great thing, why completely obliterate it?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Peace said:

Watch

I know it's a dual-core, but Conroe doesn't have the ability to work in multi-processor arrangements, only Woodcrest can do that.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
AidenShaw said:
Conroe cannot run in dual chip configurations.

A Woodcrest is basically the same chip as the Conroe, but does allow dual-chip motherboards.

et voila!

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
conroe cannot be run SMP, seriously, can this finally be accepted as common knowledge conroe ? SMP SMP is required to run more than one physical chip and conroe is one chip with two cores woodcrest is one chip with two cores that have the capability to be run in tandem with annother woodcrest giveing four cores.

woodcrest is what is going in the mac pro, their may be a single dual conroe offering at the low end as a consumer tower but woodcrest is cheaper at the high end (the 3GHz woodcrest is cheaper than the 2.92GHz extreme edition core2duo)

conroe and woodcrest use the exact same cores just conroe has SMP disabled.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Chundles said:
I know it's a dual-core, but Conroe doesn't have the ability to work in multi-processor arrangements, only Woodcrest can do that.

Correct. I think ThinkSecret has their wires crossed on this one.

Possibility has been mentioned/speculated in the forums, and isn't totally off the wall, that Apple could use Conroe for its single-CPU configs, and a Woodcrest CPU for its Quad config. While it would complicate the line technically because a different chipset would have to be used for the Woodcrest board, it would keep the cost of the single-cpu machines down (at least manufacturing costs. We as consumers may not see that benefit).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.