Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
The audio capabilities on these new towers are fantatic.

They beat both the Digidesign Audiomedia III and the Yamaha SW1000XG for sound quality (on paper at least)

24bit in/out
Frequency response 5hz - 20Khz in or 8hz - 20Khz out
Greater than 100db dynamic range
less than 0.0005 % harmonic distortion

You'll notice the sound quality even if you're listen through a cheap pair computer speakers.

They've obviously being listening to us audio folks whining all the time about the mac's lame audio spec and actually done something about it. I can forgive them for not using RCA connectors for the line in/out because it's far higher quality than I expected.

Rockridge

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2002
Finally! Apple has commited themselves...

to dual processors on all desktops... it's a good move...

but will software makers rise to the task in time to save Apple's a$$?

D0ct0rteeth

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2002
Franklin, TN
considering how crowded their product lineup is with the

iMac g3
eMac
iMac G4
Powermac g4

i think making the powermacs all dual is a very necessary change.

I am also impressed with how often apple has been updating their hardware over the past few months. At this rate I beleive good things are to come. I just hope they keep the prices low... and they should be giving way the original imacs... 799 - 1024 for a CD ROM drive is insane.

Buggy

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2001
Canada
Yippeee! Audio jack is back.

I don't know which moron at Apple development ever ordered audio in off of the old G4's, but I hope this is a sign that they fired/his or her ass.

No if Jagaur has the audio functionality that OS9 has, then I will be completely inpressed, or at least have an audio system that worked as well as my computer from 1999 running OS9.

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Originally posted by barkmonster
The audio capabilities on these new towers are fantatic.

They beat both the Digidesign Audiomedia III and the Yamaha SW1000XG for sound quality (on paper at least)

24bit in/out
Frequency response 5hz - 20Khz in or 8hz - 20Khz out
Greater than 100db dynamic range
less than 0.0005 % harmonic distortion

You'll notice the sound quality even if you're listen through a cheap pair computer speakers.

They've obviously being listening to us audio folks whining all the time about the mac's lame audio spec and actually done something about it. I can forgive them for not using RCA connectors for the line in/out because it's far higher quality than I expected.

Couldn't find the Audio specs. I'm under the impression there isn't 5.1 surround. Not that it's that necessary for audio work, but it would be great for DVD etc. I also wouldn't mind having it for movies etc.

Pentium Killer

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2002
Berlin
Fact is,that it has no DDR Frontside Bus,I would like to some tests,though.But I think they have not been seriously working that long on that machines,something else must have taken their time.....it will see the light of day in january(I hope)!

Buggy

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2001
Canada
I too am impressed how they are updating their lines. They are not always waiting for the "next big show", this new way seems much more natural to the way that technology evolves. Unfortunately Steve does not get as big of "wow" factors, but maybe that is a sign he is maturing... he does not need to get verification of his self worth by how many people he can control and surprise. OK maybe he still does this to his staff, but at least our purchases are not being as effected by his internal lack or self esteme.

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2001
Rather Dissapointing!

I know, I know, I expected to much, like Dual 1.4's, 266 or faster bus to take advantage of ddr, 64 bit pci - like the Xserve, firewire2 and usb 2 and bluetooth ata 133 to take advantage of hard disk over 137MB WD has just released 200GB 7200 models. lower prices. firewire and usb ports up front
a newer than"99" case design, triples and quads, free.mac with purchase, 1 year phone support.
As it stands now the $2199 Dual 1GHZ-512-80GB-superdrive-2MBL3 cache from Janurary seems to be the best performance buy, but I will wait for the benchmarks.
Things I like duals on the entry model {still 133MHZ though uugh!}
Dual drive bays how many years have we begged, my 8600 has 3, 4 if you take the floppy out.
Sound in
ddr
2GB limit
chrime front
large heatsink istead of noisy fan
and thats about it

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
It's got entirely new guts you twit.

You're acting as if the mobo hasn't changed at all. The list of improvements is actually quite long:

• Fastest system bus in the industry (167Mhz)

• True DDR support for a sickeningly high throughput of 1.3 to 2.7 GB/sec. depending on what component is currently speaking.

• Dual Optical drives

• We get our 4th RAM slot back.

• Entirely new motherboard with features reminiscent of Hypertransport.

• Dual onboard HD controllers for a total of 6 drives hostable, stock.

• Improved low-noise cooling.

• Audio input @ VERY acceptable tolerances.

• New faceplate, love it or not it IS an improvement.

• Audio output on the FRONT. Finally!!!:D

• PCI slots moved to the top of the case where they belong so there will be less cable crossover and less reaching over the CPU to add cards.

• Speaker moved to the top of the case where you may actually get decent sound out of it.

• Latch assembly reworked to have more metal parts for reduced failure rates.

• Ethernet and Modem ports moved into a more logical arrangement which will be easier to describe on the phone to technophobes.

Did I miss anything?

:D ;)

johndz

macrumors newbie
Daughter card

The specs of the new towers not what most accepted. But they'll do for now. The towers match the leaked picture a few weeks back. The motherboard match the specs except the prototype color. But the daughter card has a single chip on a 45 degree angle. What chip is this? When all the new towers had dual proccessers I thought why would a test mule have only one? Maybe someone could explain, or maybe a different prototype? (See picture below)

Attachments

• pm02.gif
    pm02.gif
    72.3 KB · Views: 626

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2002
New York
ok what the *%$# is the deal with a 6-8 week wait for the dual 1.25. do they want people to not buy it. some people would like one for school in a few weeks and not in october. apple you better move up this date to a 2 week wait at most. i dont think the extra G4 power takes that long to get ready.

funkywhat2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2002
lately, the updates have been coming along quite nicely; people moan about how these updates are minor and all, but its a big leap foward compared to how we were last year. now, all apple has to do is start getting revised machines out every two weeks like dull and.....(just kidding)

Geert

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2001
.be
Originally posted by D0ct0rteeth
considering how crowded their product lineup is with the

iMac g3
eMac
iMac G4
Powermac g4

i think making the powermacs all dual is a very necessary change.

I am also impressed with how often apple has been updating their hardware over the past few months. At this rate I beleive good things are to come. I just hope they keep the prices low... and they should be giving way the original imacs... 799 - 1024 for a CD ROM drive is insane.

True, Pricing should be kept low, and new releases often :D
Apple is putting us back into race.

Re: This is where I make with the smackdown:

Originally posted by mischief
Look you whiney bunch of jerks. If you seriously expected BOTH a totally new case that doesn't look like a box of drives with holes in it AND a G5 you should seriously consider a new drug habit cuz whatever your smoking now has caused dammage.

Have you stopped to ask yourself:" Gee, I wonder how Apple got enough G4's to do universal Dual Processor Towers?"

Have you considered that perhaps IBM HAS ALREADY TAKEN OVER PRODUCTION??
Nope. Still Motorola, AFAIK. They're able to do dual across the board because not many people are buying right now because the market for computers are way down now. That's called "taking advantage of Motorola's inability to deliver and the lagging market."

So YES this is a significant increase in power and speed so SHADDAP!!!!
:mad: :cool: :D :eek:
Yes, it's a big improvement, but Motorola continues to neglect them thanks to their other markets (Motorola is making good profits and they could without Apple). Until the Athlon/P4s are at a speed freeze right now allowing Apple/Motorola to catch up to around 2GHz, the Apple machines will be inherently slower.

Originally posted by TyleRomeo
ok what the *%$# is the deal with a 6-8 week wait for the dual 1.25. do they want people to not buy it. some people would like one for school in a few weeks and not in october. apple you better move up this date to a 2 week wait at most. i dont think the extra G4 power takes that long to get ready.
Ahem. Motorola.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
I see something.

Apple have to add every single fancy feature (new enclosure, dual processor and even the return of the audio input) just because the speed is not enough.

I do not see G5 early next year, just imagine, Apple hasn't reach the 1.5 Ghz yet, not even 1.4. So, there is a distance to travel (1.6, 1.8, 2Ghz) and at this speed I may see G5 in a year from now as sooner, just based in the developing speed of these 2 last years.

The new line of Mac are worth for people that still in G3 or early G4, but if I have even a dual 450 or a 933, I can wait for the next line or spend money in a fancy new iMac.

In my case, I'm waiting for the new line of flat panel displays and I would add some ammount of ram to my dual 500 and to my Pismo.

The only almost good deal is the new dual 1Ghz, but I can wait.

snoopy

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2002
Portland, OR
Re: Daughter card

Originally posted by johndz
... The towers match the leaked picture a few weeks back. The motherboard match the specs except the prototype color. But the daughter card has a single chip on a 45 degree angle. What chip is this? When all the new towers had dual proccessers I thought why would a test mule have only one? Maybe someone could explain, or maybe a different prototype? ...
I like to think the test mule had an IBM G5 in it. These PowerMacs may just be a much needed update for now, until the G5 is in full production. Same case, maybe same motherboard, but a higher clock speed G5 in place of dual G4s.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
he he...did i post here ;)

well, here is goes...

good stats, but ugly, but who cares?...this is a BIG step in the right direction in catching up with the latest pentium 4 and the athlon xp desktops

and price is right, too

hooray, apple inc.

wildcat4100

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2002
Hong Kong
disappointment...

I really like the new update...but still have some disappointments which they don't go to the front side of technologies...

ATA/66 and ATA/100...why not ATA/133 at least??
AGP4X....why not AGP8X??? Radean 9700 is AGP8X

anyone knows about the FSB of the new PM???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.