new Powermacs?

chiwawa2004

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2004
16
0
everybody is talking about the powerbooks, but what about the powermacs?
Last Update was nearly 6 Months away, the one before 5 and before also 5, so are there going to be new Macs, tomorrow or next week, what do you think.

I am considering to buy the Single Version, but what could they do better?

2GHZ?
120 GB HDD?
Standard 9600XT?
Standard DVD Burner?
ILIFE 05?

Tell Me ;)
 

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
5,684
1
LaLaLand, CA
No word yet. They could surprise us, but I doubt it. 2, dual 2, dual 2.3, and dual 2.5 could be kinda lackluster, but it might come to that. They will probably stick with an 80GB drive and 5200, but maybe a bump to 128MB for the video card. Probably still 256MB of RAM on the low end. Faster DVD burner for sure. iLife will already be on any new Mac purchased after last Saturday, so that's a given. I'm sure they'll be updating the iMacs at the same time. Maybe even a price drop, thanks to the mini.

We'll just have to be patient, especially now that sources are drying up thx to Apple Legal.
 

chiwawa2004

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2004
16
0
I would purchase it without the DVD Burner, an I want a 9600XT so, is it worth waiting for it longer than end of february?




solvs said:
No word yet. They could surprise us, but I doubt it. 2, dual 2, dual 2.3, and dual 2.5 could be kinda lackluster, but it might come to that. They will probably stick with an 80GB drive and 5200, but maybe a bump to 128MB for the video card. Probably still 256MB of RAM on the low end. Faster DVD burner for sure. iLife will already be on any new Mac purchased after last Saturday, so that's a given. I'm sure they'll be updating the iMacs at the same time. Maybe even a price drop, thanks to the mini.

We'll just have to be patient, especially now that sources are drying up thx to Apple Legal.
 

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
5,684
1
LaLaLand, CA
Um... sure, why not. :D

Seriously, we have no idea. It could be a week, it could be a month. It'll probably happen 2 weeks after you break down and buy something. :p I think, if you can wait a little longer, you might get a minor speed bump and/or price drop. If you need it now, get it now and enjoy it for the next month or 2 (or 3 or 4, you see where I'm going with this). You can always spend $50 to upgrade to the 9600 and drop the DVD-R down to a Combo. And if they come out with something new within 10 days, you can get the difference credited back to you.

If you can wait til March or April, I think that's the safe bet. Otherwise, buy now and enjoy. :)
 

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
16,568
0
A March/April time frame does sound very possible. There will definitely be an update between now and the WWDC. It all depends on how long you are willing to wait. It's best to buy what you need when you need.
 

relimw

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2004
611
0
SC
Hmm, the rumor I heard was a top end speed bump to dual 3.2 from an Apple rep. Would be nice, but I don't put a lot of faith in that number....'Course tomorrow is a Tuesday :)
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.