New PowerPC G4 Heading for Apple Notebooks


psycho bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2003
638
6
Leeds, England
Well I just received my new Powerbook so it will be sods law that these now appear. I don't really mind though as long as we don't see the G4 get an on board memory controller which I understand Freescale are developing. The FSB improvements as well as the power savings are typical of the G4's development; a step in the right direction but very very very gradual.
 

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
1,804
5
UK
If these go in the next Powerbook revision, maybe the iBook will inherit some of the current Powerbooks specs. Also, this would allow Apple to update iBooks and Pwerbooks at the same time. :)
 

dizastor

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2001
617
10
Los Angeles
Current PowerBook 1.67ghz

New freescale chip 1.7ghz....

No wonder they're jumping ship to intel.

These baby steps in processor speed are not enough to compete, nor to interest current Powerbook owners to upgrade. I've had my powerbook for 2 years, and they've only improved it by 667mhz since then. There's nothing to make me want to upgrade... and I'm very easily convinced to part with my hard earned cash for shiny new mac goodies.
 

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
1,596
8
NH
greenmonsterman said:
Current PowerBook 1.67ghz

New freescale chip 1.7ghz....

No wonder they're jumping ship to intel.
Ha! That's what I was going to say. According to AppleInsider:
"The chip will likely begin showing up in Apple laptop-based systems shortly thereafter, offering a substantial increase in battery performance and slight speed boost over today's systems."

Nothing like a "speed bump" of .03 GHz to get the pulse racing.
 

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
4,381
2,452
around the world
keysersoze said:
Ha! That's what I was going to say. According to AppleInsider:
"The chip will likely begin showing up in Apple laptop-based systems shortly thereafter, offering a substantial increase in battery performance and slight speed boost over today's systems."

Nothing like a "speed bump" of .03 GHz to get the pulse racing.
Apple always got faster speeds out of the G4s then specified. I would assume 1.8 GHz and a FSB of 200MHz.

I only wonder what could the next graphics be? I heard that the X700 is only PCIe.

The 9700 is now 1.5 years old - they must get something else. But what?
 

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
6,056
6
Yahooville S.C.
keysersoze said:
Ha! That's what I was going to say. According to AppleInsider:
"The chip will likely begin showing up in Apple laptop-based systems shortly thereafter, offering a substantial increase in battery performance and slight speed boost over today's systems."

Nothing like a "speed bump" of .03 GHz to get the pulse racing.
Thats funny but whats more funny is this is another Motostinkfictional i dream of Jeanie roadmap. When the product ships i will yawn, until then.....
 

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
16,771
1,060
The bump in the FSB will certainly help, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how much power savings there will be. They talk about the 7448 giving "GHz-class performance at less than 10 watts." I don't know what exactly they mean by "GHz-class performance." IIRC, the 7447A can already perform at 1 GHz at under 10W. It's the 1.5 and 1.67 GHz speeds that require 20W+...I want to know how much power the 7448 will draw at 1.7 GHz!
 

rosalindavenue

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2003
837
213
Virginia, USA
The 7448 has been rumored to be in the "new powerbook" since last fall-- see this thread. I recall (but could not find today) another thread in which it was advertised in the specs of a non-computer product as an embedded processor-- but there is no other evidence it has been released.
 

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
4,381
2,452
around the world
WildCowboy said:
The bump in the FSB will certainly help, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how much power savings there will be. They talk about the 7448 giving "GHz-class performance at less than 10 watts." I don't know what exactly they mean by "GHz-class performance." IIRC, the 7447A can already perform at 1 GHz at under 10W. It's the 1.5 and 1.67 GHz speeds that require 20W+...I want to know how much power the 7448 will draw at 1.7 GHz!
Good question. This sheet is still empty.
You can find a pdf here