iPad New Price/Capacity Structure in 2014?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by godslabrat, Feb 4, 2014.

1. godslabrat macrumors 6502

It's amazing how much the tablet landscape has changed since the iPad was introduced. Not too long ago, tablets were horrible, clunky devices that were overpriced and poorly designed. Apple gave us a tablet that was cheap and enjoyable to use.

Fast forward a few years, and not only does Apple have the most expensive tablet, there are others at least in the running for usability. With this in mind, is it time for Apple to finally lower the price on the iPad Air? And for that matter, isn't it about time they either gave us an SD slot (ha!) or at least made their base model 32GB? 16 non-upgradable GB for $500 is laughable in this day and age.

I mean, I get that Apple can kind of do their own thing since they're the go-to tablet to a huge chunk of the market, but at some point even they have to be a *little* competitive. This year, the iPad needs to either go down in price or up in capacity. Both would be really nice, but I know better than to get greedy. :cool:

2. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

I don't mind not having a cheaper iPad but I would like to see them change the base model to 32GB. I'd also like to see a 256GB model occupying the current 128GB model's price point. :D

3. smooth macrumors 6502

smooth

I am hoping the same thing - with the iPhone as well.

4. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

What difference does it make as what Apple chooses as a base model. Buy what you want/need. A lower/cheaper base model will allow more users to buy and Apple to sell more.

Why eliminate it?:rolleyes:

5. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

Remember Apple skews towards high profit margins over selling the most units. So any adjustments they make will try to preserve their profit margins even if it cost them some additional units sold.

6. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

I didn't notice posters interested in paying more when apple introduced the retina display. The ipod touch is 32 gb minimum--and it is priced accordingly. I imagine apple will add the 16gb when it has particularly uncompelling release--perhaps this year!

7. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Yes, just bump every current storage size and end with 256 GB. 32 GB must be the base model. That's what I buy now so that means I'd get a 64 GB for the same money. I'm IN on that deal.....:D

8. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

if they keep the base at 16gb they can keep going further away from that with 100 dollar price increments, increasing profits.

9. 617aircav Suspended

People want apple, with record sales to drop their prices. As a business, would you do that?

10. scupking macrumors 6502a

I think we will see 32 be the standard this year.

11. godslabrat thread starter macrumors 6502

They're having record sales now. That won't be the case forever if they don't make any effort to stay in line with what the competition is offering. Apple had record sales in mp3 players, prices on those still came down as competition increased.

12. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

And that is where I stopped reading. :p

13. AppleRobert macrumors 603

I have not been dealing with iPads as long as some of you. Here is my two cents, when have retailers discounted iPads in the past on current models and so quickly?

I do not know how Apple stores handle price matching but seems to me one can get some pretty neat tablets on the market for lots cheaper. Apple soon will have zero choice but change price structure or offer more space capacity with their cheapest one.

14. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

It does make a difference in terms of production and internally, driving the price down on some "parts" by purchasing in larger lots. I also agree that a 32 gig base system makes sense. Apple can qualify it as being easier to get people to rent/purchase movies to play on such systems and promote it that way. : Not rolling eyes.

15. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

The statement is actually quite true. Prior to the iPad, you'd be spending $1,500-3,000 on a tablet that has a resistive touchscreen, is useless without a stylus and has poor battery life. The iPad made tablets more accessible and attractive to the masses.

16. 617aircav Suspended

It does not make sense to apple. Why drop the price on a hot selling item? No business would do this.

17. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Sorry but there is plenty of room on Apple's shelves for a 16GB version. I would never own one but to many that will be all they can or can not afford. There are many who download few if any applications and actually just use the device for the Internet.

It amuses me that we can have a whole thread to just discuss what the bottom floor RAM will be.

18. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Seems that Apple has done it themselves in the past. Look at the iPod, iPhone etc. Also we see it in the computer line ups. Technology such as drives continue to drop in price and the usual answer to get the same dollars from a customer is to put in a drive of similar production cost which over time ends up being a bigger or faster drive. No need to beat this horse again.

19. 617aircav Suspended

Sure but 32gb is not even the industry standard as we speak. It will be one day.

20. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

RAM? Are you sure that is what you mean as opposed to non-volatile storage?

----------

That perhaps is the point - the "when" of it all and some are suggesting now is a good time. No more and no less and yes, it is simply opinion.

21. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Excuse me for the error! We are so lucky to have you to correct us!:p

22. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

No prob, we have you to keep us on our toes. (grin)