New printer, old Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jofima, Dec 15, 2008.

1. jofima macrumors member

I just bought a new printer (scanner, copier), a Brother DCP7030. The thing is I'd like to make it available to my PowerMac G4 which runs on MacOS9.

The CD that came with the printer only has install options for Mac OS X, so that doesn't help me much. Still, is there a sneaky way to make my OS9 machine recognize the new printer?

(It's not hugely important, but if there is a way I'd appreciate any pointers.)

2. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

Which computer is your new printer connected to?

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Share your printer as a PostScript printer. MacOS 9 should be able to print to it ousing your MacOS X computer's IP address as the IP address of the print server. Sharing your printer is fully explained under the MacOS X Help menu.

4. jofima thread starter macrumors member

It's not connected to any computer as of yet. I need to use it as a copier at moment.

I haven't upgraded my computer to OS X yet. I'll be getting the Tiger during the next couple of weeks. I have to wait till there's enough money in my PayPal account before I go to eBay. So there's really no hurry. I was just being impatient and was hoping I could get around the need for na OSX.