New printer: Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by drummingcraig, Dec 2, 2007.

1. drummingcraig macrumors 6502a

drummingcraig

So my HP 2355xi is freaking out on me and while its always worked great and I hate to replace it...I think it's time has come.

This was my first HP and I really was happy with the copy/scan quality.

So any suggestions for a replacement? My basic criteria is: color ink jet - print/scan/copy - cost <$300

BJ's carries the full line of the current HP Multi-function rigs and I gave them a quick glance the other day. I don't really know what's out there from Canon or Epson though.

Thanks in advance for your replies! :apple:

Craig

2. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Just AVOID the HP C6180 (or any HP that uses separate ink cartridges for each color)

*seemed* like a good idea - only replace individual inks as they are used up - but it SUCKS.

You have to wait - sometimes up to 2 minutes, for anything to print due to "printer preparation". Printing isn't bad - but waiting for it to start / clean / prep each time is. You don't get any "recycling rebate" or any "exchange" with these particular cartridges. (staples will give you $5 off new cartridges - EXCEPT for these)

I miss my HP7410.

All in all, HP printers weren't bad - just the software has seriously sucked as of late. (on both OSX and Windows)

3. Pili macrumors regular

I just got a canon mp610 off amazon for about $150 and its great. Great software also, much better than HP's. Only thing ive heard is that the ink replacement is expensive and some people go with Epson for cheaper ink but i haven't had to buy new cartridges yet.

4. drummingcraig thread starter macrumors 6502a

drummingcraig

Sad to hear this as I was leaning towards the HP 7280, but yeah that would be an issue I wouldn't want to deal with.

Yeah I am not a fan of the HP software *at all*. I also think that the firmware is 95% of why it is acting up now. I updated it about a month ago when it first started acting up and re-installed all the drivers as well which fixed it for a moment.

Thanks for the feedback.

Craig

5. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Okay - you appear to be convinced - but just in case...

Another reason to avoid 6180 / multi-ink-cartridge series - is the (#*$ing noises it makes when priming/cleaning - both pre and post print. Nothing quite like waking up to a print-clean cycle at 2am! :mad:

I super miss my 7410 now.

6. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

My Printers need replacing and this is what i'm getting:

http://reviews.cnet.com/inkjet-printers/epson-stylus-photo-r2400/4505-3156_7-31355763.html

Epson Stylus R2400, as i work with mainly Monochrome images, but all round it's the dogs conkers, expensive but worth it.