New Pro 17 I7 with 7200 HD : vibration and noise?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ejosepha, Sep 25, 2010.

1. ejosepha macrumors 6502

Just received the new Macbook Pro 17" with I7 option as well as the 7200rpm HD 500gb. The machine works great so far. However, there is a slight vibration I can feel on the aluminum in front of the keyboard and basically across the machine, though when I moved it from a glass table to a wooden desk it was much decreased. The machine is also much noisier than I thought it would be, though I did know when I went for the 7200 option that it might be noisier.
    Is this normal because of the HD or I7 chip? I can return the machine and exchange it, but the anti-glare screen seems ok with no pixel problems, etc., so I don't want to look for trouble without a benefit.
    Is it possible this is not the HD? (vibration and noise does seem to emanate from the left side-I believe it is a Seagate, ID starts with ST)
    Thanks for any advice.

2. magbak macrumors newbie

I had this same issue with my first two 15" i5 7200 rpm MBPs. I returned the first one because of quite excessive vibration, and noise as you describe. The second one also had the vibration and noise, but was returned because I was experiencing freezes several times a day.

My third one, the one I am writing on now has no vibration what so ever, the HDD makes very little noise and I am only able to hear it in a completely quiet room.

I guess this all depends on your luck with the HDD and the mounting of it. If the vibration is bothering you I would suggest replacing it, I know it can be quite annoying when you work at your computer for several hours.

Oh, and the HDD should be under your right hand palm when using the computer, and thus the origin of the vibration should be coming from there. If this isn't the case for you, disregard my post :D

3. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

aa mine does that too, except I can feel it all over it, even at the top of the screen.

4. ejosepha thread starter macrumors 6502

Me as well. I went to the Apple store in Paris today, and the salesman said I was welcome to make a Genius appointment, but that he felt this was normal for this type of spinning disk in this unit. That it was the "price" of having the increased speed and performance. He was pretty sure and suggested if I insisted on having it--the disk-- replaced I might well end up with same symptom.
    I felt the 17" I7s on display, but they all had the 5400rpm disks, so no vibration

OTHER strange thing is that when I rest my left hand lightly on the left side in front or to the side of the keyboard, the vibration or sound significantly changes. I think this is where the ventilator might be. I thought I was resting my hand or wrist to heavily, but the sound changes and becomes more distinct even with my hand or wrist barely touching the computer. It's as if the conducting of noise of the aluminum changes or that just resting my hand on the left changes the interior noise. Perhaps on the left side it is quite hollow where I believe the fan is and by even resting or touching the outside of the computer changes the interior noise.

Any other feedback here would be greatly appreciated.