New pro and putting in a SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MaxBurn, Jan 24, 2012.

1. MaxBurn, Jan 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2012

MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

First off I noticed that the 500gb drive didn't have a recovery partition, I do want one.

Anyway putting in a SSD that was formatted for windows, I did the internet recovery and I am in disk utility. I switched it over to a GUID and one big partition.

Question if I run the lion installer from here will it create a recovery partition automatically? If not what do I do here to make it create the recovery partition?

Searching through a bunch of guides but these all seem to be mentioning the pre 2011 macs without internet recovery.

What I am gathering is that if you don't specifically get the "no Recovery HD can be created" message mentioned here than I am good to go and it will automatically repartition and sneak in a recovery partition??

That would be a no.

Well luckily I have a Time Capsule so I will just shove a backup on that and that will be good enough for me.

The internet recovery was easy, reasonably quick and really handy.

2. ShoG macrumors member

3. MaxBurn thread starter macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Using the internet recovery on a new HD I never saw the "no Recovery HD can be created" warning and nor did it create one.

Meh, I will be a bit cramped for space on this SSD after I bootcamp it anyway.