new pro-camera suggestions

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by puckhead193, Aug 12, 2010.

1. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I'm in the market for a new camera somewhere in the $4,000 range. I'm going to be doing mostly sports (high school) but other events as well. (plays, clubs etc) It has to be HD and tapeless.
    Here's my list of what I've narrowed it down too and my thoughts:

Sony NX5U - I like it but the 24 mbps has be worried. Will the image look really compressed if used for broadcast use. It has an HD-SDI which is nice so i could hook up a nano flash if needed . I like the optional flash memory module for long recordings so i don't need to worry about swapping cards.

Sony ex1r - whats not to like. The only thing i'm not a fan of is the 14x zoom lens, i wish it was longer like a 20x. Also the SxS cards are expensive. It does have larger chips which is always a plus.

Canon XF300 - i like the 50 mbps and 4.2.2. color sampling but the camera itself is expensive plus having compact flash cards to swap out might not be the best for longer games.

So whats your advice? Anyone have any experience with any of these cameras?

2. handsome pete macrumors 68000

I haven't used the other 2, but the Ex1R is a great camera. I owned an Ex1 for a while and can't really say a bad thing about it.

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

The only one I have first hand experience with is the EX1 and I love the images it can produce. The NX5U is the only camera close to your price range though. I couldn't find a review of the NX5U but Adam Wilt has a solid preview of the camera. I haven't read much about the XF300 but a downside to both it, and the NX5U, is that you'll have to transcode before you can edit in FCP. If you have the chance to go to a store and take the each camera for a test run, or even rent each for a day, that could be worth more than just reading about them.

Lethal

4. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

why does it need to be HD and why does it need to be tapeless?

These things cost alot more than their SD/tape counterparts.

So unless theres a reasoning behind it, you can get something better for the same money.

5. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

my station requires HD and the tapeless is because i will be using the camera 5/6 days a week and don't feel like buying all the tape. Plus with tape I only get about an hour and if i go tapeless, i could go longer without the need to change tape and worry about missing a play.

6. Eaton Photos macrumors regular

If you been doing the research, since you narrowed your search down to 3 Cams, then I would presume, that you are aware, that the XF300 is $6,800. That is a slight bit out & above a $4,000 +/- minus budget. ;)

Now, from my perspective, I've spent a little Demo time with the XF300, and its a Gem to use. Features that the XF series offers is pretty sweet. (Dual CF Slots, up to 64GB each, and you can either write to one, then the next, or dual write, so you have a backup, of what was captured)

The main difference, that I have heard about, between the 300 compared to the 305, is that the 300 does not have SDI.

7. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

yea its out of what I want to spend but compared to the NX5U will the picture be $2,000 better/is it worth the price increase? I don't plan on doing keying now but who knows down the line...
    With the savings of getting the nx5u i could buy a nanoflash down the line. I plan on going to B&H sometime within the next few weeks to try/buy...My big concern is the images that the nx5u deliver. Will it be ok for "broadcast use"

8. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

Go for the EX1. I have the EX-3 and they are great cameras. I'm sure he canon will be good too though. I used to own the XL-H1 and it produced great images, but he viewfinder and the focus ring on the lens was useless.
    One great benefit to the ex series is that it's part of Sony's Xdcam series. Af least here in norway this is turning into be the next standard for broadcast. I mostly work with big cameras and I have used my EX as a b camera on broadcast series and tit intercoms really well. Says something about the quality. And I swear I will never go baack to tape. Just the time saved on logging tapeless is marvelous. You can by adapters and used SD cards that cost a tenth of the Sony SxS cards. You cant do overcrank on them though.

9. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

while i'm debating on the cameras can anyone give me a suggestion on stick/handheld mics and tripods. Right now i'm eying the manfrotto 504...

10. advres Guest

advres

11. noflipping macrumors newbie

I use a Sony Z7U and love it. Has inexpensive CF for tapeless AND can record to tape if you want (in same or different format) for archival purposes. Also has interchangeable lenses for those special times you need more.

Tripod/sticks? I use a Sachtler CF 2-stage and the new 504HD Manfrotto. The 504 is amazing considering it's like $375 bucks - smooth as silk and great feel. Feels like it should cost more than a grand.

12. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

Its not that I don't love them I just don't know much about them. P2 cards are very expensive. I'm also not a fan of the 13x lens....
    do you have one, if so what model?

glad to hear the 504 is good. I planned on getting this kit

13. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

I picked up a Sony NX5U. For my needs it will be just fine, if my needs change I could always ebay/trade in.
    Anyways does anyone have any suggestions for for a LANC controller for zoom. I would prefer multiple speeds. I was looking into a manfrotto 523PROI. Also any suggestions for an on camera light. Anyone use a rotolight?