New Pro Displays?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rph105, Jun 27, 2009.

1. rph105 macrumors 6502

rph105

I'm just about to buy a mac pro and would love to get some companion displays to go with it, I already have two 20" ACD's but don't feel right in thinking the new 24" LED Displays are for the Mac Pro since they were the first displays designed for the new unibody MacBook!

I'm a graphic designer so I could really do without the reflective glass which is present on the new 24"s...

I guess I'm asking is there a TRUE display upgrade to come for us pro's???

2. Hmac macrumors 68020

It's been rumored for years, with the usual amount of shrieking here on MR after each MacWorld where it doesn't show up. Appears to be a low priority, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

As mentioned, the big Dell monitors get pretty good reviews.

3. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

4. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

I was on the fence between the 2408wfp and the 24" LED Cinema Display. I ended up with the Apple 24" Cinema Display. Here's why:

Price difference wasn't enough for me to buy the 2408wfp. (I paid about $100 more for the LED Cinema Display via Bing.com cashback and eBay Buy it now, this is taking into account the purchase of another Mag Safe Adapter)
    I didn't need a ton of different inputs, this is a computer monitor not a TV
    I love the simplicity of connections: MDP, USB, and Mag Safe
    I have 2 MBPs so it was idea, for me.
    I have a 17" Anti-glare MPB, 13" Glassy MPB, and had a 24" iMac. I don't MIND the glass, I think it makes the display much better
    The 2408fpw reviews weren't that great, and many didn't like the display.
    Apple Styling

I know the Mag Safe doesn't apply to you. But if you can afford a Mac Pro either get a 30" Display (Apple or Dell 3008wfp) OR a 24" LED Cinema.

5. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

You can buy two 2408wfp's now for the price of the led cinema display. Its down to 429 now. Its reviews are mostly great. Its just that people who complain speak louder than people who are happy for the most part. Its the same with apple products as well.

6. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

Yes...but I got the display about $250 cheaper than on Apple's website and paid no tax...

7. zephyrnoid macrumors 6502

zephyrnoid

Plus 1! I did a ton of research and though I will buy a reference monitor at some stage, I calibrated the 2408WFP (REV 02) for use with FCP (COLOR) and it does an admirable job. Other nice touches make this a winner. Just be sure you're getting REV 02 or higher.

8. macminz macrumors newbie

i am a student graphic designer and own a 24inch LED... and dont find the glare a problem at all... CS4 looks sweet on the display btw

9. nanofrog macrumors G4

NEC and Eizo Nanao make really good products, but neither is as inexpensive as the Dell 2408. It depends on specific needs, and of course, budget. :p

10. munkees macrumors 65816

munkees

Apple display though they look techicool, that is about it, they are over priced, and out of date, DELL has some great monitors, also so does HP with 23" HDMI I want 2 of those.

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

No, you're completely wrong.

Not overpriced in that there aren't any LED H-IPS panels at that price with those features.

Not out of date in that... they're LED H-IPS panels.:eek:

12. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

I could care less about LED backlights in a desktop monitor. My 2408WFP is ridiculously bright even when it first turns on. Read the reviews. They all say that the actually had to turn the brightness down. And some prefer the look of S-PVA over H-IPS.

13. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I'm still waiting for you to say something contrary to my point.

14. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Uh, what features? If you're seriously going to argue that crappy speakers, a built-in iSight (which your Apple notebook already has), a Magsafe plug (which your Apple notebook comes with), that leaves you with the glassy, black-rimmed display as the only "feature" you're paying a premium for.

I swear, if Apple wasn't so good at making consumers think they're getting something new for things they already have, they'd have been out of business by the time the second generation iMac rolled around.

edit: sorry, I forgot to mention that the ACD comes with a microphone also. Hey! So does your Apple notebook!

15. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Just thought I'd chirp in and say the 30" ACD is still incredible for the Mac Pro. I love mine to bits, wouldn't think twice about buying another.

I wouldn't buy the 24" for my Mac Pro, seems a bit consumery to me.

16. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I don't have a laptop compatible with an LED Cinema Display. What I do have is a Mac Pro with no webcam, no microphone, an even crappier mono speaker, and no screen (by default).

Yes, it's "made for notebooks", but it works perfectly fine with desktops.

17. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

So because you don't care about an expensive technology that means Apple should sell said expensive technology at a loss to be in line with cheaper techs? Yeah, that makes perfect sense.

18. vermintrex macrumors newbie

fixed that for you :D

But seriously, it really only works with one desktop, the Mac Pro, and then only if you have a GT 120 or ATI 4870. And your Mac Pro better be literally on the desktop if it's gonna reach the 24" ACD's joke of a Mini DisplayPort cable.

Even though it makes no business sense to me, I guess I can understand Apple marketing a peripheral to only Apple computer owners, but why on earth would you purposely limit it by an inexpensive DVI omission from the rest of your legacy customers ? Why ??!!! You could make more money dummies !! :p

19. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Mac Pro. iMac. Mac Mini. Three. Plural. :)

20. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

Also, in case it isn't already obvious, 's attempting to phase out DVI - kill it, if possible - as they have VGA and other things in the past. While some of you may be infuriated that they're not hanging onto DVI (which, interestingly enough, they were early to deploy on their machines compared to other companies), I'm still ticked off that VGA is being built into new hardware. VGA needed to die three years ago.

21. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

+9.

VGA needed to die in September 1999 when the first plastic Cinema Display with DVI came out.