new problem for a newbie...memory question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by javageorgie, Apr 12, 2009.

1. javageorgie macrumors newbie

I have a question regarding adding memory to my daughters 3 year old I-Book G4. Bear in mind we are not tech savvy. Under "System Profiler:Memory" it says:

Memory Slot:

DIMMO/BUILT-IN 512mb status Ok
    DIMMI/J7 Empty

She needs more memory to be able to install the driver to use an external hard drive. She only has 11mg left and it takes about 26mg of available space to install it. Unfortunately, she has several itunes audiobooks on her computer that she has paid for and doesn't want to get rid of, so we can't create space that way. Is there a way to add more memory so we can get the audiobooks onto an external hard drive? :confused: Thanks!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Memory is not the same as HDD space.

Your iBook has 512 MB of RAM, where only current applications and their currently open documents are stored, to be accessed faster and once the computer is shut off, all the data in the RAM is deleted - nothing to be feared.

The HDD (hard disk drive) is the place where all her data is stored. Depending on what model you have you might have up to 80 GB of storage. Just click on the MacintoshHD (or however she named it) and see how much free space you have got by pressing Command/Cmd+I.

The icon looks like the one icon with the name "Mac OS X":
    [​IMG]

If you only have 11 MB left, then it's time to delete something non critical.
    Or copy to an external disk, for which you shouldn't need a driver.

What external disk does she have? How does it connect to the iBook?

Most likely it's just some add-on software for backing up or something like that.

PS: A restart might give you some free space as the RAM sometimes stores its less used data, or if it is full, on the HDD and creates so called swap files. They will be deleted once you restart the computer.

3. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

I am thinking you may be confusing RAM or "Memory" with hard drive space or "storage".

Think of it this way...

Hard drive space is like the amount of storage you have in your kitchen cabinets, it's where all of your dishes or files are held.

RAM or "Memory" is like the kitchen counter when you're cooking a big meal. The more counter space you have, the more stuff you can have out/open without slowing you down and having to go look for it. So RAM is more for multitasking than for storage.

Now, what hard drive are you trying to hook up? You shouldn't need to install any driver for an external hard disk.

You should be able to give yourself more RAM which would help with speed. Which is available from here: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/iBooks-PowerBooks/G4-iBook/ You should be able to put 1gb into that empty slot.

As far as hard drive space, there's gotta be some files you can delete on that computer to free up some space. I would suggest a hard disk upgrade as well. Any of these should work: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0380 50001306 1035907889&name=Western Digital

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Nice analogy. :)

5. javageorgie thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey thanks!
    We were trying to put her stuff onto a Seagate Free agent external hard drive (500gb) that plugs into the USB port and it seemed to indicate that we neded to install a driver (whatever that means:eek: )...we just tried it without and it is working fine...she'll be busy for awhile transfering all of her books! Thanks for taking the time to help a newbie!

6. javageorgie thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you as well "Just Gretchen", I will save those links and upgrade her as soon as possible.

7. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

Not a problem, you are very welcome. You may want to seek help as to how to transfer the data properly from your old drive to your new drive. I would suggest using a program such as CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper!

Depending on the vintage of your iBook, there's guides here on how to swap RAM an Hard disks. http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Browse/iBook#Section_iBook_G4

spinnerlys - Thanks :) A little something I picked up along the way. It works really really well for people who aren't tech savvy. I sometimes liken the processor to how good of a cooking skill/equipment one may have. The more proficient the cook, the faster the cooking process.

8. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

javageorgie - I also saw another thread of yours about getting her ibook fixed. What's wrong with it exactly, or is this the issue you were having?

Where do you live?