New Problems After Fixing Liquid Damaged Macbook pro 2010

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hally231, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Hally231 macrumors member

You may have read my earlier threads about my liquid damaged macbook pro (2 months old) which would no longer turn on.

I managed to get a brand new logic board and installed it myself. The laptop is now turning on and is working okay (very slow) but has some problems.

I am trying to reinstall leopard/wipe the hard drive and the optical drive reads the disc fine however when the laptop restarts it cannot boot from the disc and then a kernel panic message comes up. The only way to get rid of this is to open the laptop up and remove the disc from the drive (very annoying) as the laptop will not eject the disc or even boot up from hard drive.

My question is - Should i have reset some settings after installing the new logic board and how can i install a fresh copy of leopard?

Thanks for your time.

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Your new motherboard requires a version of OS X higher than that on the disc. For instance, brand new computers might ship with 10.6.4, which cannot even be purchased at retail yet (10.6.3 is the latest I've seen).

You won't ever be able to boot a 2010 Mac using a Leopard disc for sure, unless you're just accidentally saying Leopard instead of Snow Leopard.

If you need replacement discs, you can call Applecare and order new ones for around $30.

3. Hally231, Dec 1, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2010

Hally231 thread starter macrumors member

SORTED! *I used the original discs and managed to boot from one of those - its installing at the moment so fingers crossed this has worked.

Thankyou very much x

Thanks