new problems after supplemental update

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by Martyimac, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Martyimac macrumors 6502a

Martyimac

My mac mini has been flawless since I purchased it 2 years ago and through all the OS updates since then. The latest supplemental update to 10.8.5 has introduced two issues I have never had before.

1. Startup now takes minutes to do. Goes to a white screen and will sit there for up to 3 minutes before I finally see the Apple symbol and the rotating element. It does start up just takes forever.

2. I have a USB My Passport drive I use for time machine backups. With the supplemental update, I now have to unplug the drive then replug it in to get it to appear on the desktop and for time machine to recognize it exists.

Help???

2. comics addict macrumors 6502a

Concerning the first issue, have you tried through either the Recovery partition or once logged in, to select the the startup volume ? Even if you only have a single one with OS X. Try it, it might help. If not then do a NVRAM & SMC reset for the heck of it and see if it solves the issue. If even that doesn't work verify both the disk & permissions using disk utility.