New program idea for laptops!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by eldy, Feb 5, 2009.

1. eldy macrumors 6502

From what I have gathered here on the forums, a lot of people keep their laptops plugged in to A/C power almost exclusively.

There should be a niche out there for an application that keeps the battery charged at only 40% capacity in order to prolong its life. Especially for people that keep their laptops plugged in for extended periods of time.

I'm aware that the battery is used to back up the A/C adapter in some cases but I don't think anyone has done a real-world study to see if a battery maintenance application would be viable.

2. thebassoonist macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

That sounds like a very good idea. I'd certainly be interested.

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    If the computer is physically connected to the a/c I don't think a program exists to make it able to stop charging, because it is being charged by the flow of the electricity to the battery, not because a program is allowing it to charge. I don't think there is a way to stop it. But I may be wrong. :eek:

4. eldy thread starter macrumors 6502

Hopefully there should be a way to trick the charge control into thinking the battery is fully charged at only a certain capacity. Battery capacity is allowed to drop to about 95% before it begins charging again, right?

5. detz macrumors 65816

With today's technology I don't think this is needed.