New programmer needs help understanding the fundamentals behind app idea.

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by Viantef, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Viantef macrumors member

I'm a 17yr old student that has some experience in Python/Java, hopefully I'll be able to pick up Obj-C pretty easily. I want to build a Twitter Sneaker Bot Application.

The user will choose the shoe they want and it'll crawl the Nike Twitter page and once the keyword is crawled it'll give the user a notification that'll take them to the link in the browser. It'll only crawl at a specified time period, it won't be constantly. Probably only 5-10 minutes before Nike would usually tweet the link (8amEST). I've been looking at Amazon's EC2 Instance to act as the parsing server.

Here's an example: https://twitter.com/nikestore/status/429600294146949120/photo/1
    The app would crawl for "Melo 1.5". (See Twitter link to know what I'm talking about)

What I'm confused about is actually adding the shoe to the cart. This is very easy to do in Javascript with a small snippet of code.

$(".selectBox.exp-pdp-size-dropdown.exp-pdp-dropdown.selectBox-dropdown").focus().mousedown().mouseup();

I couldn't even imagine how to manipulate any data on browser within an app such as adding the product to your cart.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. 1458279 Suspended

I don't know what the web requirements are, but I've heard that Amazon's AWS is excellent but expensive.

You might want to look at some of the other services. If you just need to have a notification, I think there are free services out there if you stay under a certain number.

IIRC, Parse is one of them.

I don't know if you would extract the info from a browser or if you can get more direct access.

IIRC, Twitter has an API, so you should be able to gain access to the data directly. I'm assuming you'll be searching a string for content.

You might also find someone that has posted a tutorial on something like this, I know Ray Wenderlich has a bunch of tutorials.

http://www.raywenderlich.com/tutorials